Welcome to The Dripping Pan for our BetVictor Isthmian Premier League game with Hornchurch. Here is your complimentary matchday programme, which we call the Progcast.

Inside this issue:

Rook divider


You can get full updates from today’s game, including team line-ups, goals and substitutons, in the panel below. It will automatically update throughout the game. Data supplied by FootballWebPages.

Rook divider


Our new manager, Hugo Langton, tells Barry Collins about his first couple of days and news of his first signing.

Rook divider


Good evening everyone and welcome back to the Dripping Pan for this evening’s game against high-flying Hornchurch. I’d like to welcome our visitors from Essex and hope their journey home to north of the river is a safe one.

It’s been quite a few days as I am sure you can imagine. Let’s start with the positives. I’m very pleased that we have managed to secure the services of Hugo Langton as our new manager until the end of the season. I’ve known Hugo for many years and his coaching track record is second to none. He has a huge amount of knowledge of football at our level (and above) across the country. He knows the players, and knows how to win, having been part of successful sides at Bromley and Welling United to name just two. He took his first session with the team on Monday night and we wish him the best of luck tonight.

Ross and Codge will continue to work with Hugo in their previous roles as First Team Coaches. When Darren left back in October we agreed to regularly review our progress on and off the pitch and make changes as and when necessary. They both came to me after the Corinthian-Casuals game and asked if we could look at bringing in someone who would take the pressure off them and could handle the majority of the recruitment.

Obviously, that second-half performance on Saturday was the negative. It was the biggest home defeat I have witnessed here at the Pan and I don’t think there is anyone associated with the club who will disagree that it was unacceptable. I’m sure you have heard Ross’s post-match interview and his thoughts and comments are echoed by us all. As the person within the club who is ultimately responsible for our performances I can only apologise and fully accept that something needed to change, which is why Hugo has joined us.

I know how hard Ross and Codge have worked to try and bring success to the club. They are outstanding individuals who are Lewes through and through and I respect them for coming to me and asking for help. I’ve also seen some of the comments online about the team, the management, the directors and the club. I believe everyone is entitled to an opinion but I also believe there is a respectful way of doing things. I hope that everyone will get behind Hugo, Ross and Codge tonight.

Our ambitions at the start of the season were to improve on last year’s 11th place finish. We went into the campaign with the same budget as last year which we felt was competitive enough, and still do. Some of the players we have brought in have simply not delivered the “value” they should have and we have moved quickly where we can to make changes. I expect we will see further changes in the squad in the coming weeks as Hugo looks to move us away from the bottom of the table. Our aim is still to finish in the top half – we need to quickly improve our home form, obviously!

Good luck to our Women’s team who head to Boreham Wood on Sunday to take on Arsenal in the FA Cup 5th Round. This is one of the biggest games in the club’s history and I am sure there will be plenty of Rooks fans in the crowd at Meadows Park cheering them on.

Finally, I’d like to say well done to the Sussex FA Youth Squad who beat Devon FA last Sunday in terrible conditions to reach the FA Counties Youth Cup Final where they will host Norfolk. The squad is managed by former Rook Jay Lovett and assisted by our very own Dale Hurley. In the squad of 18 last Sunday were TEN young Rooks – quite an achievement for the club and for Dale. We are very proud of you and of course wish you the best of luck for the final.

Come on you Rooks.


Rook divider


We’re very happy to announce that the collection at our game last Saturday raised a total of £773.25 for @MindCharity A huge thank you to all those who donated #ForJoe6

Rook divider


Unfortunately, due to a technical fault, we’ve had to make a change to our scheduled programming. Instead of the ‘highlights’ from Lewes vs Cheshunt, we will instead be showing an episode of Dad’s Army.

Rook divider

Isthmian ads
Rook divider


Founded in 1923 as Upminster Wanderers, they played in the Romford League until 1938 when they stepped up to the Spartan League, winning promotion to the Premier Division in 1951. In 1953 they joined the Delphian League, changed their name to Hornchurch & Upminster, and moved into their current home, Hornchurch Stadium, at Bridge Avenue, Upminster.

In 1959 the club were elected to the Athenian League and in 1961 changed their name to Hornchurch Football Club. They won the Division One championship in 1967, were relegated in 1969 and promoted back again in 1971. 1974/5 saw the club reach the Fifth Round of the very first FA Vase competition, where they lost to eventual finalists Epsom &  Ewell. That performance helped the club gain election to the Isthmian League.

In 1978 they suffered relegation but three years later they were back. Apart from a tenth-place finish in 1995 it would be 19 years before they again finished in the top half of the table, surviving several brushes with relegation before losing their Division One place in 1986 and continuing to struggle in Division Two North. Matters became even worse in 1989 when a fire destroyed the clubhouse and they found themselves in Division Three when the regionalised divisions of the Isthmian League were scrapped in 1991.

New owners saw a brief period of success, with back-to-back promotions in 2002 and 2003 taking Hornchurch into the Premier Division for the first time. Major ground improvements and a fifth-place finish in 2004 took them into the new Conference South. The 2003-4 season

was notable for a run to the Second Round of the FA Cup in which Darlington were beaten 2-0 before Tranmere stole a controversial 1-0 victory in front of TV cameras and a capacity crowd at Bridge Avenue.

However, financial difficulties caught up with the club, and halfway through the following season the entire squad was released. Almost 100 players wore first-team shirts as they contrived to avert relegation despite a ten-point deduction.

But the off-pitch affairs could not be resolved and the club reformed under the name AFC Hornchurch in 2005, being placed by the FA in the Essex Senior League. They won the league at the first attempt to climb back into the Isthmian League. They won a second successive title in winning Division One North in 2007, amassing 103 points to finish 21 clear of runners-up Harlow, to gain promotion to the Premier Division. They also won the Essex Senior Cup for the first time in the club’s history, beating Great Wakering 2-1 at Southend United’s Roots Hall.

Success continued in the Premier Division as they finished fourth to secure a play-off place but lost 3-1 in the semi-final to AFC Wimbledon in front of a crowd of 2,897 at Kingsmeadow. The following season witnessed a 1-0 defeat by Peterborough United at a packed Bridge Avenue in the First Round of the FA Cup.

In 2012 AFC Hornchurch finished runners-up in the Premier Division, beating Bury and Lowestoft to secure promotion to the Conference South. However, they finished 20th the following season and were relegated. A fifth-place finish in the Isthmian League in 2014 saw them reach the play-offs, but they lost 0-3 to Lowestoft in the final. They suffered relegation in 2015, and the disappointment of missing out in the play-offs the following two seasons, but in 2018 won the Isthmian North by 13 points.

Last season AFC Hornchurch finished 15th and they currently lie fourth in the table.


Mark Stimson – Manager

Mark had a professional playing career with Tottenham Hotspur, Newcastle United, Portsmouth and Leyton Orient. As a manager he won three FA Trophies, twice with Grays Athletic and once with Stevenage Borough. Has also been the manager at Gillingham, Barnet and Kettering Town. He had six seasons at Thurrock and a short spell at Waltham Abbey, before taking on the Hornchurch job in December 2017.

Joe Wright – Goalkeeper

Joe joined Hornchurch from Enfield Town in May 2019 having made 39 appearances for the Towners during the 2018/19 season. He is a former Queens Park Rangers youth goalkeeper.

Mickey Parcell – Defender

Mickey joined Hornchurch from Enfield Town where he made 49 appearances last season for the Towners, scoring twice and setting up a further 10 goals. The full back started out at Torquay United where he signed a professional contract following a two year scholarship there.

Arthur Lee – Defender

Arthur joined Hornchurch from Tonbridge Angels. The centre-back made 53 appearances for the Angels last season where he scored two goals, one of which was in the super play-off final against Met Police.

Remi Sutton – Defender

Remi began his football career with Basildon United. He signed from Enfield Town in February 2019; also played for Thurrock, and Greenwich Borough.

Nathan Cooper – Defender

Nathan signed from Isthmian Division One North side Romford in September 2015, he has been a key member of the Hornchurch defence which, since his arrival, has an unparalleled record for keeping clean sheets.  Out for most of last season with injury Nathan is now on his way to a full recovery.

Rickie Hayles – Defender

Rickie originally joined Hornchurch in January 2010 and made an immediate impression in the centre of defence. After periods with Billericay Town, and Dulwich Hamlet amongst others he recently returned to Hornchurch for the fourth time.

George Winn – Defender

George was signed from Waltham Abbey at the beginning of December and has previously played for Thurrock, and Redbridge.

Matt Johnson – Midfielder

Matt joined Hornchurch from Enfield Town in May 2019. He was voted Manager’s player and Players’ player of the season for 2018/19. He has played with Billericay Town, Bishop’s Stortford, Braintree Town, Ebbsfleet United, Margate, and Chelmsford City.

Jordan Clark – Midfielder

Jordan signed for Hornchurch in June 2018 and was previously with Thurrock where he made 152 appearances, scoring 30 goals.

Joe Christou – Midfielder

Joe first signed for Hornchurch from Tilbury in October 2014. After spells with East Thurrock United, and Waltham Abbey he re-signed for Hornchurch in December 2018.

Lewwis Spence –  Midfielder

Lewwis signed for Hornchurch in June 2018. Previously with Thurrock where he made 181 appearances scoring 46 goals Lewwis’ previous clubs include Crystal Palace, Wycombe Wanderers, Rushden & Diamonds, Dover Athletic, Bishops Stortford, Greenwich Borough and Thurrock.

Sunny Dutton – Midfielder

Some excellent performances in the Urchins Youth team has seen Sunny gain a place in the first team squad. Sonny was voted 2018/19 Young player of the season.

George Saunders – Midfielder

Signed for Hornchurch at the start of the 2018-19 season having previously played for Kelvedon Hatch at level seven in the pyramid.

Chris Dickson – Forward

Chris has played for Charlton, Bristol Rovers and Crewe Alexandra as well as overseas at New Salamis Famagusta and AEL Limassol in Cyprus, and even a brief spell in China. His five year spell in Cyprus saw him play Champions League and Europa League football with AEL Limassol during the 2012/13 campaign. He has also represented Ghana at full international level. He joined Hornchurch from Hampton & Richmond Borough

Ronnie Winn – Forward

Signed from Waltham Abbey at the beginning of December Ronnie previously played for Thurrock where he made 120 appearances scoring 31 goals. He is the twin brother of Urchin’s defender, George.

Charlie Stimson – Forward

The son of manager Mark Stimson, Charlie joined the Urchins at the start of December. Previous clubs include Gillingham, Barnet, Tooting & Mitcham United and Thurrock.

Jamie Cureton – Forward

Bristol-born striker Jamie was signed from Bishop’s Stortford in February. He began his professional career with Norwich City, before moving on to Bristol Rovers. In 1993, he is said to have turned down an offer from Manchester United to stay at Carrow Road. In total he scored 278 goals in the top four divisions of the English game. As well as three spells at Farnborough, has also played for St Albans City, Eastleigh and Bishop’s Stortford.

Daniel Uchechi – Forward

Dan has played for Charlton Athletic, West Ham Utd, and had loan spells at Leicester City and Sheffield Wednesday. He also played for Aberdeen, as well as spending four seasons in Swedish football. Whilst with Charlton in 2008 he represented Nigeria at U20 and U23 level.

Adam Cunnington – Forward

Adam joined Hornchurch in January 2020 after a brief stay at Romford FC, but he is better known for his two seasons at Billericay, where his 23 goals in 37 appearances played a leading role in helping them into the National South League.        

Rook divider

Rook divider

Lewes Men's squad photo 19-20

The Supporters Club are once again selling player and management sponsorship to raise money for the club. Grab your player before your favourite goes!

Costs are as follows: Home Kit – £75. Away Kit – £75. Training Kit – £25. Boots £25.

Contact: david.arnold@me.com or see David or Barbara on match days.

Thanks to the following sponsors who’ve signed up so far!














Rook divider


The boys with the elastic waistbands head for trouble at Tolworth

After the crushing disappointment of being knocked out of the Sussex Senior Cup by Peacehaven the previous Tuesday it was back to league action and a crucial game away at fellow strugglers Corinthian Casuals. It’s known as a six pointer.

Originally neither of the Stodgebusters’ drivers could make this game due to other commitments. With the trains having a rail replacement bus service in operation the non-drivers within the Stodgebusters, still hungover from Tuesdays defeat, decided to give this one a miss. However, on the morning of the game PJ was very disappointed to hear that his plans for the day had been sunk. Faced with an afternoon of watching Real Housewives of Beverley Hills, Say Yes to the Dress and other such delightful programmes with Mrs PJ he got on the Whatsapp group to see who would like to go. Gary the Badge and Roly very quickly made themselves available. Maybe they had been threatened with a Saturday trip to Dunelm Mill or Ikea?

The three of us met up at PJ’s gaff at 12.30. We had all had breakfast so that there would be no Broadway Cafe upon reaching Tolworth. As there was only the three of us we squeezed into the little red Fiesta and set off. It was a fairly uneventful journey apart from one idiot in an expensive Jaguar undertaking everyone at about 90mph on the A23. He got a mirror full of main beam from an irate PJ. 

The Tolworth roundabout is always a great challenge. It’s very tricky to get in the correct lane for the exit you need and the little slip road to the ground is easily missed. We’ve mucked it up the last few times we’ve been to King Georges Field. PJ had the solution this time. He cheated and went a different way so that all that was required was a simple left turn at the roundabout.

We had about an hour before kick off so watched some minor league game between Leicester and Chelsea on the TV in the club bar while sampling the chips from the food wagon.

Onto the game. The Rooks made a good start and almost took the lead in the first minute when a cross from Harry Reed was just too high for Tony Mendy’s head.  The first half was fairly even with real chances at a premium. Billy and Leon efforts brought saves from the home keeper while a couple of Casuals attempts were just wide of the post.

Michael Dome-Bemwin was replaced by Ronnie Conlon at half time, presumably due to injury. Bad luck for Michael but good to see Ronnie get some time on the pitch. The Casuals started to get on top and we were getting concerned. The ball was spending far too long at the other end and we couldn’t get out of our own half for long periods as we kept giving the ball away when trying to find the front men. We had a couple of good counter attacks but Billy twice put the ball over the stand from decent chances.

New signing Tony Halsey replaced Tony Mendy for the last twenty minutes and he looked quite lively. He was involved in a move that gave Billy another chance from eight yards out but his shot, although well directed, lacked power and the keeper saved. Another Halsey flick on reached Billy but again his shot sailed over the bar.

Casuals were looking more dangerous. We had been muttering amongst ourselves for quite a while that they were going to score in a minute. And inevitably they did. A fine finish that gave Nathan no chance. A finish rather reminiscent of Peacehaven’s winner four days earlier. To be honest they deserved it. They had looked much more likely to score than Lewes in the second half. We feared the worst. We had another couple of half chances that were spurned but we got the feeling Lewes could have played until midnight and still not scored.

We started walking, very dejectedly, before the final whistle to avoid being hemmed in by the gates when the players are walking off, and we were right down by the exit when the final whistle blew. We wanted a quick getaway and were out of the gates before the ref had finished whistling the end.

Another defeat and no goals drops us closer to the relegation battle. It was quite a solemn drive home yet again. Maybe staying at home and watching Real Housewives of Beverley Hills or a trip to Dunelm Mill might have been better options after all.

Rook divider


“The Isthmian Football League strongly supports the FA statement that there should be a zero tolerance approach against racism and all forms of discrimination. Accordingly any form of discriminatory abuse whether it by reason of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion and belief, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, sex and sexual orientation or any other form of abuse will be reported to The Football Association for action by that Association.” (The FA 0800 085 0508 / Kick it Out 020 7253 0162).The Isthmian League and all Member Clubs in the League are committed to promoting equality by treating people fairly and with respect, by recognising that inequalities may exist, by taking steps to address them and providing access and opportunities for all members of the community.”

Lewes 2000 FC Limited. Registered in England and Wales with Company Registration Number 03790979. Lewes 2000 FC Limited is 100% owned by Lewes Community Football Club.

Honorary President Terry Parris
Chairman Stuart Fuller
Directors Ed Briggs, Charlie Dobres, Karen Dobres, Stuart Fuller, Steve Keegan, Galia Orme, John Peel, Ed Ramsden, Roger Warner, Trevor Wells
Club Secretary John Peel
Match Secretary David Evans
Youth Secretary Kevin Brook
Operations Manager Warren Lane

Equality FC Campaign Manager Karen Dobres

Life Members
Mr and Mrs Brook, Vic Blunt, Pat Dartnell, Gary Elphick, Gordon Fowlie, Peter Hiscox RIP, Billy Nixon, Derrick Parris, Terry Parris, Jimmy Quinn, P. Swaysland, Steve Ibbitson, Jason Hopkinson, Steve White, Martin Elliot, Kevin Fingerneissl, Kevin Powell, David and Barbara Arnold, Roger and Cathy Feltham, Ethel Treagus, Roy Dartnell RIP, Ron Moore, Derek Southouse, Ray Smith, Ken Carter RIP

Manager Hugo Langton
First team coach Dale Hurley
First team physio Katie Joynes
Goalkeeping coach John MaCrae
Under-18s Manager Dale Hurley
Under-18s Assistant Manager Craig Stevens
Under-18s coaches Jake Legrange and Johnny Buggy

Golden Rook Rob Read
Web Editor Stuart Fuller
Progcast Editors Paul Sheppard and Stuart Fuller
Progcast Designer Barry Collins
Club Photographer James Boyes