Lewes vs Margate

Lewes vs Margate

Lewes vs Margate – 10/10/20

Welcome to The Dripping Pan for today’s Pitching Inn Isthmian Premier League game with Margate. Here is your complimentary e-programme.

Rook divider


Good afternoon and welcome to the Dripping Pan for this afternoon’s Isthmian Premier League match against our good friends from Margate.

I hope that the fans, players, management and officials from Thanet enjoy their afternoon here in East Sussex and wish them a speedy return home.

I’d love to be writing these notes in happier times on and off the pitch. Our start to the season has been very disappointing and there isn’t anyone at the club, whether it be in the boardroom, in the dugout or on the pitch who would shy away from that fact. At the start of the season we set clear objectives for all of our sides and communicate that to the respective teams.

We have a young squad and if I would have been given a pound for every time someone says “you won’t win anything with kids” I would have bought all eight floodlights myself in the summer. However, we have seen a significant number of our young players, developed through our pathway that have ended up playing for our rivals in recent years that we wanted to ensure that our best young players get the opportunities to remain and grow with Lewes FC. This is why players like James Beresford, Brad Santos, Nic D’Arienzo and Tegan Freeman will be first team regulars – every game they play for the senior side is one game more to making them better players. Sometimes they will struggle against players with significantly more experience, other times they will thrive.

So after the disappointment on Saturday we had the daunting task of heading to league leaders Bowers & Pitsea on Tuesday night. It is fair to say there had been some home truths spoken within the squad on Monday and we certainly saw a reaction from the team. Our three teenagers certainly thrived, putting in mature, confident performances against the best team I have seen us face this season. Every player put in a shift and I’d like to thank Mitchell Beeney who stepped in at quite literally the 11th hour to cover for Nathan and was excellent for us. We got a fortunate penalty, converted by Aaron but also were unlucky to concede one. Honours even, a fair result.

If we can carry even half of that effort into the game today I will be happy and I know that you will see a very different team to the one we have seen so far in some games. The league is a marathon not a sprint and so I won’t get carried away by one performance on a wet Tuesday in Essex, but likewise a marathon needs to start with a positive forward step and that is exactly what I saw on Tuesday.

Just a reminder that the AGM and Elections to the Board of Directors take place in less than 3 weeks – full details can be found here. The club is run by the fans, for the fans so having a fully elected board is a key constituent of that. I’m happy to take any questions from interested parties today.

Get behind the team and Come On You Rooks!


Rook divider


Hugo Langton gives Stuart Fuller his thoughts ahead of today’s game. Click the play button below to hear the interview:

Rook divider


You can get full updates from today’s game, including team line-ups, goals and substitutons, in the panel below. It will automatically update throughout the game. Data supplied by FootballWebPages.

Rook divider


It was a quiet weekend in the Isthmian Premier League with many teams involved in FA Cup action. The two other games, apart from the Rooks trip to Wingate & Finchley were at Leatherhead, who picked up their first win of the season on Monday night at Haringey Borough, and were hoping for a first home win as Margate arrived at Fetcham Grove. Neither side managed a goal, however.

Another side without a victory before Saturday, East Thurrock United, travelled to Brightlingsea Regent, and after a goalless first half we almost got a goalless second half, until Khris Oti broke the deadlock from the spot for Regent six minutes from time. We then got a second goal, this one from the Rocks, Phillip Brown-Bampoe equalising right at the end.

On Tuesday night we had a full programme of games that provided a shock or two. We start our round up at Potters Bar Town, who were hosting Cray Wanderers- the Wands arriving with an unbeaten record stretching back into 2019. That record has now vanished after the Scholars walloped their visitors by three goals to nil. All of the goals came in the first half, Ben Ward Cochrane with the opener and the third, Thomas Gogo’s effort sandwiched in between the two. Wands end the night in third, Bar are up to tenth.

Worthing, in second place, lost a seven goal thriller by the odd goal at Leatherhead, who seem to have truly put their seven goal hammering at Bowers behind them after taking seven points from the subsequent nine. Dan Rowe put them ahead after just four minutes at Fetcham Grove, but on the quarter hour Ollie Pearce equalised for the Mackerel Men, and that was all the goal action from the first half. The Tanners went ahead again in the sixty third minute, Joe Leslie with the goal, only for Mo Diallo and Pearce again to turn the match on its head in favour of the visitors. But the Tanners weren’t downhearted, and after Stefan Brown got an equaliser with twelve minutes remaining the home fans were delighted as Crossley Lema got what proved to be the winner in the eighty fifth minute. Leatherhead are seventh.

Cheshunt have had a fine start to the season, and made it three wins from four in defeating Margate at Hartsdown Park. Both goals came in the thirteen minutes following the break, and they both came to the Ambers, Mo Camara and David Knight getting them and sending their side fifth, just behind Haringey Borough who won on Monday.

Bishop’s Stortford, in sixth, took an early lead against Folkestone Invicta- who gave a debut to Sammy Moore. Aaron Greene got the opener, but Invicta levelled for a point fourteen minutes from the end, Jordan Wright firing home.

Bognor Regis Town joined Carshalton Athletic on seven points by defeating the Robins two-one at the Nye Camp. Joe Cook and Sam Dowdridge made the Rocks comfortable at the break, and Harry Ottoway’s goal six minutes from time proved only a consolation.

Wingate and Finchley delivered a shock at Hornchurch. They seemed down and out after Ellis Brown and Chris Dickson gave them a two goal lead after twenty seven minutes, but Mauro Vihlete and Charlie Edwards had them level by the break and ten minutes after it Billy Healey got what turned out to be the winner. The Blues are eleventh, the Urchins eighteenth.

Just behind Wingate and Finchley are Corinthian-Casuals, who defeated Brightlingsea Regent two-nil at King George’s Field, Nathaniel Pinney and Kieron Cadogen with the goals in the last fourteen minutes. Headline image from this match by Andy Nunn, and you can see the rest of his shots here.

Horsham were our big scorers, coming from behind to defeat Enfield Town five-two. Chris Smith gave the Hornets an early lead, but two in a minute just before the break turned the game in favour of the Towners, Sam Youngs and Billy Bricknell breaching the home rearguard. Harvey Sparks got an equaliser nine minutes after the restart, and then spectators witnessed the Charlie Harris show, with Harris striking in the sixty nineth, eighty sixth and ninetieth minutes to seal a hat trick and give his side all three points.

Horsham are sixteenth, Enfield fourteenth and in between them sit Kingstonian, who defeated Merstham two-one at the Whisky Bible Stadium. Harry Osborne and Elliott Buchanan put the K’s two up at the break, and even the talents of Calvin Ekpiteta, who got one back in the second half, couldn’t rescue anything but pride for the Moatsiders.

Rook divider


Is this the end for one of England’s oldest football clubs?
After playing football for 146 years, Macclesfield Town Football Club have been wound up by the High Court over debts exceeding half a million pounds and been expelled from the National League.

The High Court ordered the club to wind up its operations after it became clear they would not meet their debt obligations at a hearing last week, with the club owing almost £190,000 to HMRC and another £170,000 to its creditors. This debt is bad news for the club’s fans as it means the literal extinction of the Cheshire-based English football club.

Just a year ago the club were playing in the Football League and when the season was declared over, sat in 23rd place, above Stevenage and therefore safe from relegation to the National League. However, a points deduction landed in their lap in the summer which saw them relegated to 92nd in the Football League and thus relegated from the professional game for the second time in their history.

Former controversial owner Amar Alkhadhi had stepped down as acting chairman in the summer, with the fans laying the blame for their demise firmly at his door, with numerous issues of wages not being paid over the last couple of years, a situation which led to them fielding an Under18s and Academy team when they faced Kingstonian in the FA Cup First Round last season, a game the K’s won 4-0.

The club, who have won the FA Trophy twice and the Conference title three times were also managed for a period by former Rooks manager, Steve King. King took the club to the Fourth Round of the FA Cup back in 2013, beating Cardiff City along the way.

Coming just a year after the demise of Bury Football Club, the concern is that more clubs will go the same way if more regulation and governance isn’t put in place. The warning signs were there for all too see at Moss Rose, home of Macclesfield Town, over the past few years and with similar situations playing out at Bolton Wanderers, Southend United and Wigan Athletic.

Jamie still going on and on
Following the resignation of manager Matt Hanning, Enfield FC of the Essex Senior League (NOT Enfield Town for clarity) have appointed 45-year old Jamie Cureton as their new player-manager. Cureton had been playing Enfield FC last season on a dual registration basis whilst he was Player-Manager at Bishop’s Stortford, making it his 20th club in a career that spans over 1,000 games, 27 years and over 350 goals.

The farce of the FA Cup
Last weekend, after numerous contradictory statements by the FA and the DCMS, the Second Qualifying Round of the FA Cup was held. Whilst all bar a couple of games went ahead despite the conditions, whether you were allowed to see a game was down to the most bizarre set of rules we have seen in the game for a long time. The issue stems from the entrance in the competition of the “Elite” clubs at Step 2 (National League North and South) and the fact that they still are not allowed to play in front of fans.

So where a Step 2 club was drawn at home, no fans were allowed to be in attendance. Some clubs looked at opening their bars and live streaming the game from the other side of a window in many cases to fans inside, but this idea was quickly shut down by the authorities. So games such as Dorking Wanderers (Step 2) versus Eastbourne Borough (Step 2) or Ebbsfleet United (Step 2) versus Hastings United (Step 4) were played in empty stadiums.

Sheppey United, giant killers in the Second Qualifying Round (Credit: SCEFL)

If the Step 2 club was drawn away at a Step 3 or below club then fans could be admitted, but only home ones. So Corinthian FC’s biggest FA Cup game in many-a-year at Gay Dawn Farm against Step 2 Hampton & Richmond Borough, or Sheppey United (Step 5) giant-killing of Welling United (Step 2) were technically only watched by home fans. So not only did the home teams have to make the games all-ticket but they had to try and ensure only home fans bought the tickets. And guess who had to pay for that (here’s a clue, it wasn’t the rule makers!).

If you were a Step 3 or below club and you were hosting a fellow Step 3 or below club then it was all fine and dandy and you could have a crowd of up to the level set by your step – so for Hayes & Yeading thrashing of fellow Step 3 Bognor Regis Town a maximum of 600 could have watched that game.

There really is no rhyme or reason why the authorities made this all so confusing. The Third Qualifying Round is due to take place next week. After undoubtedly the result of the round against Welling United, Step 5 Sheppey United travel to Step 2 Eastbourne Borough. Whilst they had a sell-out crowd at Holm Park last weekend, not one of those fans can travel to Eastbourne Borough to watch the game.

Rook divider


Don’t forget that you can visit the Club Shop today where there is a great collection of merchandise plus the regular sale items. If you are looking for something a bit different, including our Lewes FC face masks then visit our Redbubble emporium here.

Rook divider


The situation occurs up and down the country every Saturday (and midweek).  A centre-forward weaves his way into the penalty area near the touchline. His/her way is blocked by the full-back and as the forward looks to go around him/her, the defender falls over and perhaps to cushion the impact, put both hands out. Those hands landed firmly on the ball, stopping it the forward progressing.

Unbelievably, the two people in the stadium who don’t see the offence are the two that mattered – the referee and his near-side assistant and wave play on. However, if you take a step back and put the rules to the side for a minute, it is hard to justify how an offence in that position actually warrants a penalty kick.

Whilst the handball occurred in the penalty area, it was in a relatively harmless position. The forward couldn’t have realistically scored from that position especially as another defender blocked his way to the goal. So why should that be considered a worse offence than one a few minutes earlier which results in a defendable free-kick when the same forward is cynically pole-axed on the edge of the penalty area almost dead centre?

Perhaps it is time we took a look at the rules around a penalty kick? At a time when the IFAB (the rule makers) are keen to tinker with the rules, how long before the spot kick as we know it changes? Whilst it is sure to cause controversy and the usual media outcry, perhaps it is for the best.

Before we consider the ramifications of any change(s), let’s go back 130 years when the idea of a penalty kick, credited to goalkeeper and businessman William McCrum, was presented by the Irish Football Association to the International Football Association Board (IFAB) 1890 Meeting. After a year of debate, the rule changes came into play at the start of the 1891/92 season.

However, the rules pertaining to the humble spot kick agreed by IFAB were very different to what we know today.  In the typed update issued to all football associations they laid out the new rules for the penalty kick:

  • It was awarded for an offence committed within 12 yards of a goal-line, with a horizontal line being marked on the pitch (the penalty area not introduced until 1902).
  • It could be taken from any point along the new line 12 yards from the goal-line.
  • It was awarded only after an appeal made by the attacking team to the referee in a similar way to how the fielding/bowling team in cricket make an appeal for a wicket.
  • There was no restriction on dribbling with the ball in a similar way to the old US-style shoot-out.
  • The ball could be kicked in any direction including backwards.
  • The goal-keeper was allowed to advance up to 6 yards from the goal-line – one of the reasons for the creation of the 6-yard box.
The new 12 yard line visit in the 1896 FA Cup Final played at Crystal Palace (Credit: North West Archives)

The world’s first penalty kick was awarded to Royal Albert FC in their Airdrie Charity Cup game at Airdrieonians in 1891 just four days after the IFAB rule change was ratified and announced. The honour to make history fell to James McLuggage who scored from the 12-yard line.  The first penalty awarded and scored in England came in September when “Billy’ Heath scored for Wolverhampton Wanderers in their league match against Accrington Stanley.

The rules as we know them today came into play from 1902 with the creation of the 18-yard box and whilst there has been changes to almost every one of the original rules, the basics have remained the same for over 115 years – an offence committed anywhere in the 18-yard box results in a penalty kick from 12-yards out, with the goal keeper not allowed to move fully off his line before the ball is struck.

But is now the time to rethink the rules? At their meeting in Aberdeen in March 2018, IFAB discussed the idea of making any follow-ups to penalties saved by the goal keeper or that strike the frame of the goal “illegal”. It is likely that in the next few years this will become entrenched in the rules of the game but perhaps one change could be under discussed in the next few years is that the penalty area is reduced from 18 to 12 yards, and made into a semi-circle similar to the hockey penalty area. Any offence committed in the area will result in a spot kick, taken from the point on the curve closest to the offence. The more central the offence, the better the angle the penalty taker has.

It may be a controversial change to one of the most recognisable aspects of the game but football needs to adapt. If our fictitious scenario would have resulted in a penalty  we, as home fans,  of course wouldn’t have complained.  But if that spot kick decided the game or even a title, a cup, a promotion or a relegation, would it have been a just reward for an offence that took place in an area of the pitch where there was virtually no chance of a goal? 

Rook divider


Nathan receives his marching orders for denying a goalscoring opportunity in the 17th minute
Jude Arthurs equalises for the Rooks
Nic D’Arienzo becomes the third keeper of the night and pulls off a brilliant save with his foot from Ollie Pearce
Alas Nic cannot prevent Worthing scoring a third and taking all three points back along the A27

More photos from James can be found here.

You can read our post-match progcast here

Rook divider



The club was founded in 1896 and joined the Southern Football League in 1933. After a spell in the Kent League after World War II the team returned to the Southern League in 1959 and remained there until 2001 when they gained promotion to the Football Conference, the highest level of English non-league football. Their stay at this level saw the team forced to ground share with other clubs due to drawn-out and problematic redevelopment work at their Hartsdown Park stadium, and during the three years spent away from their own ground they were expelled from the Conference National and subsequently relegated to the Isthmian League.

After the Second World War the Gate continued to play in the Kent League under new manager Charlie Walker, who led the team to two Kent League championships but was then controversially sacked. The team slumped during a succession of rapid managerial changes which only ended in 1950 when Almer Hall was appointed manager, a post he was to hold for the next twenty years. Under Hall the team won a host of local cup honours and reached the rounds proper of the FA Cup on several occasions, but never managed to match this success in league competition.

In 1959–60 Margate returned to the Southern League after the Kent League folded, and in 1962–63 won the Division One championship and with it promotion to the Premier Division. Two years later the club turned full-time professional but this policy proved financially untenable when the team were relegated back to Division One in 1965–66. Nonetheless, they won promotion at the first attempt and returned to the Premier Division in 1967.

During the 1970s Margate endured severe financial problems and a series of mediocre league seasons but took part in two famous FA Cup ties. In 1971 the Gate lost 11–0 to Bournemouth, with Ted MacDougall scoring a cup record nine goals. Then, a year later, Margate beat Swansea City and Walton & Hersham to set up a third round tie against First Division Tottenham Hotspur, then UEFA Cup holders. A record crowd of over 14,000 packed into Hartsdown Park for a match which Margate lost 6–0.

In 1996, the club’s centenary year, the club appointed Chris Kinnear as manager. In 1997–98 he took the team to the first round proper of the FA Cup where they played Fulham in a home tie that drew a crowd of 5,100. Although the Gate took the lead, the Cottagers eventually won 2–1. The following season saw the club finally win promotion to the Southern League Premier Division, albeit only after an appeal was lodged against the league’s initial refusal to allow the team promotion due to the club failing to carry out necessary ground improvements in time. The Premier Division championship followed in the 2000–01 season, and with it promotion to the Football Conference.

The 2001–02 season was Gate’s first ever season of Conference football and they finished the season in eighth place. In the 2002–03 season the team began ground sharing at Dover Athletics’ Crabble while redevelopment work took place at Hartsdown Park, but various problems stalled the planned redevelopment. On the pitch, Margate enjoyed more success in the FA Cup when, after defeating Leyton Orient in the first round, they were drawn at home to Cardiff City in the second round, but lost 3–0 at Crabble. The following season, despite finishing sixteenth, the Gate were forcibly relegated one division due to the ongoing delays and problems with the redevelopment plans for Hartsdown Park.

Margate spent the 2004–05 season in the Conference South, now ground sharing at Ashford Town. Amidst ongoing issues with the redevelopment work, which at one point made it seem very likely that the club would fold completely, Margate were again relegated to the Isthmian League Premier Division.

After 10 years in the Ryman Premier Division Margate won promotion back to the Vanarama National League South after beating Hendon in the play-off final at the Earlsmead Stadium. Ryan Moss scored the winning goal as Terry Brown’s side celebrated promotion back to second tier of Non-league Football.

Margate’s first season back in the National League South was a rollercoaster ride with survival secured on the final day of the season despite a 2-0 defeat to Bath City. A run of 11 defeats from their final 12 games left Margate needing results elsewhere to keep them in the division and Weston Super-Mare’s 1-1 draw away at Havant & Waterlooville meant Havant were relegated.

Since the 2017-2018 season Margate have been in the Isthmian Premier League, where under new ownership the Club have installed a state of the art 3G Pitch, plans are in place to develop the stadium further and build a hotel on site. The Club narrowly missed out on the play offs in the 2017-18 season and after the departure of manager Steve Watt the Club went through a period of transition and were able to avoid relegation in the 2018-2019 season thanks largely to the presence of Jay Saunders as temporary manager. At the start of the 2019-2020 campaign fan favourite Jay became our permanent manager and has put together a youthful team ready to challenge for the season ahead.

Jay remains at the helm for the 2020-2021 season to lead the Gate in the Pitching-In Isthmian premier League. The previous campaign is one for future pub quiz’s as the season was halted in March with all results expunged due to the global COVID-19 pandemic.


Jay Saunders – Manager
Jay Saunders is the former Maidstone Utd club captain, where he went on to begin a successful managerial career. He left Maidstone after seven years and three promotions in August 2018. After a spell helping out Neil Smith at Bromley, he took over at Margate in February 2019.

Bailey Vose – Goalkeeper
Young ‘keeper Bailey Vose joined Margate for the 2020/2021 season having amassed a wealth of experience at Colchester and Dartford.

Owen Kallmeier – Goalkeeper
A young ‘keeper with lots of experience, Owen has been involved with Margate FC since he was 14 years old and provides valuable back up to Bailey Vose.

Craig Holloway – Goalkeeper
The experienced goalkeeper has been added to Jay Saunders’ squad and staff. Having played and managed at Hartsdown Park previously, news of Holloway’s return was greeted with delight by Margate fans. Holloway is set to play an influential role alongside Jay Saunders whilst supplying back-up and support for Bailey Vose.

George Lamb – Defender
George is a young full-back who joined the Gate after impressing the Manager in pre-season.

Ben Swift – Defender/Captain
‘Swifty’ re-joined Margate for a fourth season, and a third under Jay Saunders. The young centre-half was voted in the Kent Online team of the season in 2018/19, and will skipper the side for the second successive campaign.

Joshua Steele – Defender
An Academy graduate who impressed during pre-season, Josh is a centre-half by trade and joined up with ambitions for the 2020/2021 season.

Liam Friend – Defender
‘Friendy’ retuned to Margate on New Year’s Eve 2019 having spent the first half of last season at rivals Ramsgate. This is the fourth consecutive season Liam has been with the ‘Gate and the fan favourite centre-half is their most capped player in recent times.

Jay Porter – Defender
Jay Porter joined Margate from Bostik League rivals Enfield Town for the 2019-2020 season having enjoyed a spell at AFC Hornchurch, and made over 120 appearances for Thamesmead Town. This will be Jay’s second season with the Gate under Manager Jay Saunders.

Chris Sessegnon – Defender
Chris was part of the 2017-2018 squad but suffered a bad injury and missed the remainder of the campaign and the whole of the next season. He returned in 2019 and has signed on for another season in 2020.

Jack Richards – Midfielder
Jack joined Margate from Maidstone United, having risen through the ranks of The Stones Kent Youth League teams, before working with Manager Jay Saunders at the club’s Academy. He made his debut at The Gallagher as a first-year Academy player in 2015 before departing earlier in the summer. This is his second season under Saunders at Margate.

Reece Prestedge – Midfielder
Experienced midfielder Reece joined the ‘Gate from Welling Utd in 2019. Formerly of East Thurrock and Maidstone, Prestedge is reunited with boss Jay Saunders to add guile and leadership to their midfield. This is Reece’s second season under Jay Saunders for the Gate.

Freddie Moncur – Midfielder
The versatile midfielder joins the Gate from Romford and has plenty of Isthmian League experience, having previously had loan spells with Cheshunt and Wingate & Finchley as well as National League experience with Concord Rangers.

John Ufuah – Midfielder
The rapid winger joined Margate from Whitstable Town where he scored 4 goals and recorded 7 assists before the season was ended due to COVID-19.

George Wilkinson – Midfielder
A versatile and energetic midfielder George is an Academy prospect signed up to the Gate first team for the 2020/2021 season.

Luke Carey – Midfielder/Forward
A young and skilful number 10, Luke started out in the ranks at Charlton’s academy and last season played for Corinthians FC. He has impressed during pre-season and signed for the Gate in mid-September 2020.

Noel Leighton – Forward
Noel Leighton re-joins Manager Saunders for a second full season after impressing on loan at the end of the 2018/2019 campaign. The energetic striker is the Margate’s top scorer under Jay Saunders, and looking to add to his tally this year.

Toby Bancroft – Forward (loan)
A versatile attacker, Toby joins the Gate from Gillingham on a short-term loan agreement.

Rook divider


It costs as little as £40 to become an owner of Lewes FC. For that, you not only get the inner glow of helping your local community-owned football club, but you get great discounts from dozens of retailers in the Lewes area and nationwide. You can join instantly by clicking the button below.

Rook divider


Two in a row for the Women’s First Team
Following up from the 1-0 win here at The Pan two weeks ago, our Women’s team travelled to Dartford FC on Sunday and recorded another 1-0 victory against London City Lionesses thanks to a first-half penalty converted by Ellie Leek. On Wednesday night a much-changed team lost 2-1 to Crystal Palace Ladies in their first Continental League Cup match at the Pan, whilst tomorrow they host Blackburn Rovers here with a 12pm kick-off. As there are still no fans allowed to watch the team play, you can watch the game via our Rooks TV Channel here.

Under18s go marching on
Our Under18s travelled to Godalming Town on Monday night in the FA Youth Cup and won 2-1 with goals from Louis Veneti and George Mitchell-Phillips. They now travel to Dover Athletic in the next round, on the 20th October. The team kicked off their Isthmian Youth League campaign last week when they were defeated 3-2 here at Three Bridges, whilst on Thursday night they beat Crawley Down Gatwick 5-1 in the first round of the Sussex Youth Cup.

AGM and Directors Election
The Annual General Meeting of Lewes Community Football Club will take place at the Rook Inn on Thursday 29th October 2020 from 7:30pm. The agenda for the AGM will be:

  • Presentation of Annual Board Report
  • Presentation of Accounts
  • Announcement of new Board members
  • Any Other Business

Of the current Board, Ed Briggs, Stuart Fuller, Jon Ruben are at the end of their current three-year term therefore, there are three positions open for election to the board.

To become a board member, you will first need to be an Owner of the club. Details can be found here: www.lewesfc.com/owners. We are interested in receiving applications from all and any owners who feel they can make a genuinely positive difference to the club. Full details of the elections and the process to apply to stand for the board can be found here.

We are currently looking at options to screen the AGM and notification of the election results live for all Owners who are not able to attend in person.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month
This month is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and both of our First Teams will be sporting T-Shirts promoting the charities that continue to amazing work in trying to find a cure for the disease. Our Women’s and Men’s team have challenged each other to do 25 various activities at training as part of their contribution to the campaign. You can see what others have done here.

“We are thrilled that Lewes Football Club has chosen to support us during Breast Cancer Awareness Month to help raise awareness of our 25 Saves Lives campaign. We know that empowering women is of great importance to the club and we are delighted to partner with them to share our vital breast cancer prevention information, helping empower women to take control of their breast cancer risk.

Over a quarter of breast cancer cases are preventable. Through this partnership , and our 25 Saves Lives campaign, we will be able to share our tips on how people can reduce their risk, reaching even more people with our breast cancer prevention message so that fewer people will have to suffer the devastating consequences of this disease in the future. We cannot achieve this without the support of important partnerships like this. Thank you to everyone at Lewes Football Club for your generous support.” Thalie Martini, CEO Breast Cancer UK.

In order to simply donate to the campaign, this can be done here:

And finally, Save of The Month
Whilst only having a dozen games under his belt with the First Team, young defender Nic D’Arienzo pulled on the goal keeping shirt last week against Worthing and did himself and Lewes FC proud, including this superb save from Ollie Pearce with his feet which won the Your Instant Replay Save of the Month competition, held via Twitter with 32% of the vote. His prize? A new set of goalkeeping gloves!

Rook divider


i. The Red Zone for players and officials and staff members only who are adhering to strict COVID protocols.
ii. The Amber Zone “Fries Side” which includes the Mountfield Road bank and the Philcox Stand – and importantly, the loaded fries hut.
iii. The Amber Zone “Pies Side” – which includes the seated stand and the Ham Lane stand – and importantly, access to the pies via the Hatch.
iv. Seating in the main stand will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis – there is no seating advance allocation.
v. Seating will incorporate social distancing – fans who wish to sit in family/friend ‘bubbles’ may do so; ‘bubbles’ must maintain distancing, as marked on seats; fans are asked to use gangways responsibly to maintain social distancing.
vi. Matchday stewards and volunteers will be on hand for seating arrangement advice – fans are kindly asked to follow their guidance
viii. The Rook Inn will be divided into two sections – accommodating Pies and Fries sides of the ground, with no access between the two areas.

Rook divider

2020/21 Fixtures

Rook divider


About The Pakex Stadium
The Pakex Stadium is well-appointed and pleasant ground to visit. The main stand is a four-row affair that runs around half the way down one side of the pitch, resplendent in the club’s blue and red colours. Behind the stand is a decent-sized clubhouse, upgraded in the summer. There’s a small covered stand in between the two dug-outs on the far side of the ground whilst behind one goal is another small covered area. An interesting bit of trivia for you – the turnstiles came from the Old Wembley Stadium.

How to get to The Pakex Stadium
The ground is located close to junction 24 of the M25, meaning you have a choice as to whether to head clockwise or anti-clockwise when you reach junction 7 from heading up to M23. In terms of distance, it is within a mile either way (98/99 miles from Lewes and around 2 hours) so it will depend purely on the traffic – perhaps go clockwise on the way there, anti-clockwise on the way back so that you can claim to have done a complete circuit in a day!

From the M25 junction 24 head north on Southgate Road until the junction with the A1000 and take a right into the High Street. After the BP garage on the left, take the next left in The Walk. The entrance to the ground is 100 yards on the right-hand side. It is street parking for everyone.
The nearest railway station is Potters Bar which is on the line from Kings Cross (around 17 minutes journey) or Moorgate (around 35 mins). From the station the ground is a 10-minute walk away – The Walk is opposite the station and simply head eastwards, taking the path on the left after 500 metres to the ground.

Admission at The Pakex Stadium
Admission this season is £12 for adults, £8 for concessions (senior citizens and students), under 16s £1 with an adult.

Fancy a beer?
The nearest pub to the ground is The Admiral Byng in Darkes Lane which is a decent sized Wetherspoons. The Old Manor is an attractive looking pub almost next door to the station and is definitely worth a visit for their good selection of beers. There is a Harvester (The Oakmere) in the High Street about a five-minute walk from the ground.

Rook divider


1. Nathan Stroomberg-Clarke
2. Fintan Walsh
3. James Beresford
4. Bouwe Bosma
5. Christian Frimpong
6. Alex Malins
7. Brad Santos
8. Jude Arthurs
9. Aaron Cosgrave
10. Luke Blewden
11. Ronnie Conlon

12. Jaden Owusu-Nepaul
14. Merrick James-Lewis
15. Leon Redwood
16. Eddie Wakley


  1. Bailey Vose
  2. Samuel Egole
  3. Jay Porter
  4. Reece Prestedge
  5. Liam Friend
  6. Ben Swift
  7. Luke Carey
  8. Freddie Moncur
  9. John Ufuam
  10. Conor Evans
  11. Jack Richards

18. Noel Leighton
13. Owen Kallmeier
16. Charlie Hatton
15. Joshua Steele

Referee: Barrie Small
Assistant Referees: Nigel Baker, Adam Parry

Rook divider


“The Isthmian Football League strongly supports the FA statement that there should be a zero tolerance approach against racism and all forms of discrimination. Accordingly any form of discriminatory abuse whether it by reason of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion and belief, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, sex and sexual orientation or any other form of abuse will be reported to The Football Association for action by that Association.” (The FA 0800 085 0508 / Kick it Out 020 7253 0162).The Isthmian League and all Member Clubs in the League are committed to promoting equality by treating people fairly and with respect, by recognising that inequalities may exist, by taking steps to address them and providing access and opportunities for all members of the community.”

Lewes 2000 FC Limited. Registered in England and Wales with Company Registration Number 03790979. Lewes 2000 FC Limited is 100% owned by Lewes Community Football Club.

Honorary President Terry Parris
Chairman Stuart Fuller
Directors Ed Briggs, Ed Ramsden, Charlie Dobres, Karen Dobres, Stuart Fuller, Steve Keegan, Galia Orme, John Peel, Jon Ruben, Roger Warner
Co-opted Directors Michelle Bowie Krige, Claire Rafferty
Club Secretary John Peel
Match Secretary David Evans
Youth Secretary Kevin Brook
Operations Manager Warren Lane

Equality FC Campaign Manager Karen Dobres

Life Members
Mr and Mrs Brook, Vic Blunt, Pat Dartnell, Gary Elphick, Gordon Fowlie, Peter Hiscox RIP, Billy Nixon, Derrick Parris, Terry Parris, Jimmy Quinn, P. Swaysland, Steve Ibbitson, Jason Hopkinson, Steve White, Martin Elliot, Kevin Fingerneissl, Kevin Powell, David and Barbara Arnold, Roger and Cathy Feltham, Ethel Treagus, Roy Dartnell RIP, Ron Moore, Derek Southouse, Ray Smith, Ken Carter RIP

Manager Hugo Langton
First team coach Dale Hurley
First team physio Katie Joynes
Goalkeeping coach John MaCrae
Under-18s Manager Dale Hurley
Under-18s Assistant Manager Craig Stevens
Under-18s coaches Jake Legrange and Johnny Buggy

Golden Rook Rob Read
Web Editor Stuart Fuller
Progcast Editors Paul Sheppard and Stuart Fuller
Progcast Designer Barry Collins
Club Photographer James Boyes

Rook divider


Tuesday 20th October 2020 – 7:45pm Kick-off

Tickets on sale here.

Rook divider

    %d bloggers like this: