Tuesday 2nd November 2021 – 7:45pm – The Dripping PanThe Isthmian Premier League

Rook divider

Welcome to The Dripping Pan for tonight’s Pitching Inn Isthmian Premier League game with Carshalton Athletic. Here is your complimentary e-programme.

Rook divider

Rook divider


Good evening and welcome to our first game under lights here at the Dripping Pan. I’d like to welcome the fans, players, management and officials from Carshalton Athletic and sincerely hope we can break the run of defeats to them here by one goal!

One goal makes or breaks a game as we found last Saturday in probably the craziest Non-League games I have seen since, well probably since we were last at Worthing!

In the six games we have played against them since we returned to the Isthmian Premier League there have been 35 goals and five sendings off…Well, we didn’t have any of the latter but the nine-goal thriller was a brilliant advert for the game at our level. Despite our domination of the game, more shots on target and the goal of the game, if not one of the best we will see this season, we came away with no points. It was disappointing for us all, none more so than Tony who had to sit at home looking for social media updates as he was self-isolating with Covid-19.

We have a few squad changes in the last few weeks. Ky Richards, who joined us in the summer from Cray Wanderers and will be remembered for the superb goal at Merstham has departed. He had been dual registered with SCEFL side Glebe. Coming into the squad on loan is the Leatherhead, and former Met Police and AFC Telford centre-back Will Salmon, who made his debut at Bishop’s Stortford on Saturday.

Saturday’s defeat at Bishop’s Stortford was disappointing, not just because we lost but because it is another season where we have exited the cups so early. We all dream of a cup run and although the FA Trophy isn’t the most glamorous of competitions, there is the chance of a visit to Wembley (don’t mention this to Adam Drew though unless you have a couple of hours spare) as Hornchurch showed us all last season. We had plenty of possession and chances in the second period, including the penalty miss, to get ourselves back into the tie but we couldn’t find a way through.

Our focus is on climbing up the league, starting with tonight’s game. We know how competitive the league is but we’ve got a fantastic squad who have shown in games this season how dominant we can be. November will be a tough month, with seven games scheduled but if we can hit our stride again, we will finish the month challenging for the top spots.

Last night our Under18s exited the FA Youth Cup against Bromley U18s in the First Round of the FA Youth Cup. The team have had an amazing start to the season, winning every game until last Thursday when a depleted team (with five of the squad on England Colleges trials) drew with Three Bridges and came close to beating a very professional Bromley side. Well done to Dale, his coaching team and the squad. Only four trophies left to win!

Enjoy this evening’s game and Come On You Rooks!


Rook divider


We face a Carshalton team who are in form tonight and I’m sure they will be bouyed by their FA Trophy win at Horsham on Saturday. I’ve know Peter a long time and we’ve always had a good relationship and like Joe, he’s an ex-Rook. Keith Bonas was my tutor on my UEFA course and I’ve got a lot of respect for him as well. They always try to play footbal and are fast on the counter attack like us, so it should be a good game.

One thing is for certain – we will need to defend better than we have. We were all disappointed with the result on Saturday. We allowed Bishop’s Stortford to open the scoring too easily and whilst we created chances in the second half, we couldn’t convert them. So we expect to see an immediate reaction tonight for the team.

We managed to bring in Will Salmon at the 11th hour last week and I thought he had a good debut on Saturday. We need that experience and strength at the back and Will’s got bucket loads of that.

Ten days ago at Worthing and again on Saturday your support was excellent so let’s hear you again tonight. Your support makes a huge difference to the team. Also, a big shout out to our global owners who will be watching this from around the world tonigh.

Come on you Rooks!


Rook divider
Rook divider


As a club, Lewes FC is very proud to work with CAGA – The Coalition Against Gambling Adverts and their Big Step Campaign. Our first team keeper Lewis Carey is our anti-gambling ambassador and he has recently been talking with the media about his story and the work he is undertaking at the moment, including interviews such as the one below with BBC News.

Originally tweeted by Gambling with Lives (@GambleWithLives) on October 22, 2021.

Rook divider

Rook divider


You don’t have to go down the league pyramid very far in the Czech Republic to be classed to be watching “grassroots” football. The top two divisions (The Fortuna liga and Fortuna národní liga if you want the detail) of 16 clubs each are a mix of fully professional teams such as Sparta and Slavia Prague, as well as much smaller clubs who bounce between the two divisions such as Viktoria Žižkov. Below this level and you are really into the grassroots game, where games tend to be held on a Sunday morning in front of one man and his dog (sometimes quite literally).

Prague is a great city for a weekend away. Lots of culture, architecture, easy flight options, cheap food and of course, the fantastic beer. Whilst most of the football activity tends to revolve around Sparta and Slavia Prague, there are plenty of clubs to visit in the city if you can wake up early enough!

If you can live with a hangover from the beer, then here are five clubs when the COVID-19 pandemic is over that you should definitely head to.

Dukla Prague – The club, made famous by Half Man, Half Biscuit’s song “All I want for Christmas is a Dukla Prague away kit”, spend most of their time bouncing between the top two divisions. They play at the Stadion Juliska, an athletics stadium in the north of the city, easily reached by bus service 131 from Hradčanská metro station to bus stop, Juliska. The club’s unique yellow and brown shirts can be bought from the stalls outside the ground.

Viktoria Žižkov – Viktoria traditionally play their games on a Sunday morning, with grilled meat stalls offering a hangover cure or the cheap beer a hair of the dog. The club, like Dukla, have bounced between the top two divisions and won the top league almost one hundred years ago, their biggest ever honour. The Viktoria Stadion is situated on Seifertova třída, just a short walk (one tram stop) from Prague’s main railway station. For those who love their Czech football trivia, their original name was Sportovní kroužek Viktoria Žižkov. Try saying that after a couple of Budvars.

FK Admira Prague – Third tier Admira are based in the northern suburb of Kobylisy. They are the perennial underachievers, never having played any higher than the second tier of Czech football. However, their stadium, the Stadion FK, is a mixture of open terraces and covered seated stands. The club house is a welcome retreat on the cold winter’s mornings. To reach the ground you can take the metro to either Kobylisy or Ládví stations, just a short walk away.

Bohemians 1905 – The only one of our five clubs that still play in the top tier, Bohemians were founded, unsurprisingly in 1905 as AFK Vršovice. The club won the 1982–83 Czechoslovak First League, its only league championship. The best known player from Bohemians’ history is Antonín Panenka, the man who invited the Panenka chipped penalty kick back in the 1976 European Championships Final against West Germany , who is now the club chairman.

Bohemians’ mascot is a kangaroo, the legacy of a 1927 tour of Australia. Following the tour, the club was awarded two live kangaroos, which they donated to the Prague Zoo. They play at the Ďolíček Stadium in the northern district Vršovice. The stadium is served by trams, the local stop immediately south of Ďolíček was renamed Bohemians in September 2012.

FC Slavoj Vyšehrad – Not necessarily a club that people will watch but they do play in the Stadion Evžena Rošického, also known simply as Strahov, which hosted the 1978 European Athletics Championships . The stadium holds 19,032 spectators but is probably worth a visit because next door is the Strahov Stadium, the second biggest in the world with a capacity at its peak of over 230,000. Today, the stadium is no longer in use for competitive sports events; it is a training centre for Sparta Prague, and is used to host concerts. The stadium is sited on Petřín Hill overlooking the old city. It can be accessed by taking the Petřín funicular up the hill through the gardens, or by taking tram lines 22, 23 or 25 to Malovanka station. The stadium has been on the list of UNESCO cultural heritage sites since 2003

Rook divider


A dominant display saw Lewes record their second home win of the season with a comfortable 5-0 victory over ten-man Leatherhead under the lights at the Pan, reports Tom Harper.

Tony Russell named an unchanged side after Saturday’s 6-2 win at Margate as the Rooks looked to secure their fifth win in their last six league games.

Lewes started brightly and created a number of chances early on, with Ollie Tanner at the heart of all their best moments.

The in-form winger was denied twice by visiting goalkeeper Myles Bowman either side of a close-range chance that he put just wide at the end of an incisive passing move, all inside the first 15 minutes.

The visitors, playing their first game under the new management team of Mustafa Bashkal and Qayum Shakoor, grew into the game after these early scares and ensured it was an even contest for much of the first half.

They came close to taking the lead twice in quick succession, with Lewis Carey forced into a smart save to keep out a long-range effort from Chidubem Onokwai, before reacting well to help a Darnell Kithambo strike round his near post minutes later.

The Rooks began to apply more pressure again towards the end of the half and took the lead six minutes before the break through Joe Taylor, whose shot on the turn took a slight deflection on its way past Bowman and in off the underside of the bar after good play down the right by Razzaq Coleman De-Graft.

The game swung firmly in Lewes’ favour on 43 minutes, as Leatherhead captain Ryan Huckle was shown a straight red card for pulling back Taylor as he looked to race through on goal with only Bowman to beat.

Lewes doubled their lead from the resulting free-kick, as Taylor Maloney’s strike took a wicked deflection off the wall, completely wrong-footing Bowman on its way into the bottom corner.
The Rooks continued where they had left off after the break and made it 3-0 on 50 minutes through Bradley Pritchard, who guided an effort from just inside the area through the legs of a covering defender and into the bottom corner after being teed up by Taylor.

Lewes were dominating possession at this stage and looked a threat every time they went forward.

Michael Klass was the next player to go close, seeing a powerful strike pushed round the post by Bowman after more impressive build-up play.

It was 4-0 just after the hour, as Matt Weaire headed a Tanner corner goalwards, and Taylor was on hand to apply the finishing touch from inside the six-yard box.

Lewes showed no signs of taking their foot off the gas as they headed into the closing stages, with Pritchard and Maloney dictating the pace of the game in midfield and Tanner continuing to prove a constant threat.

The Rooks scored a fifth goal on 74 minutes, as substitute Freddie Parker played in Tanner down the right and when his effort came back off the far post, Iffy Allen was on hand to convert the rebound and score his first goal for the club.

Lewes remained on the front foot in the final ten minutes but were unable to score six goals for the second consecutive game, Tanner being denied by Bowman at the end of a run that took him past several Leatherhead defenders, before Parker saw a strike from the edge of the area go through Bowman’s legs and bobble just wide of the post with the final action of the game.

Lewes: Carey, Yao (Colombie 46), Carlse, Weaire, Nelson, Pritchard, Maloney, Klass (Parker 59), De-Graft (Allen 70), Tanner, Taylor.
Unused Subs: D’Arienzo, Olukoga.
Booked: Klass, Carlse

Leatherhead: Bowman, Kiangebini, Lema, Mabassa, Huckle, McGee, Bombelenga (Black 46), Kabashi (Briggs 50), Onokwai, Skinner (Manning 79), Kithambo.
Unused Subs: Smith, Cawdron.
Booked: Kiangebini.
Sent off: Huckle.

Attendance: 449

Rook divider


By Adam Bushby & Rob McDonald

Published in late 2020, From the Jaws of Victory, this book tells the story of the ‘nearly men’ — those celebrated teams throughout history who swept all before them … but don’t have the medals to show for it.

Telling the stories of sides in the UK — from when football so nearly came home in 1996, to when it might not have in 1966 — and abroad, From the Jaws of Victory pays tribute to some of the greatest football teams, players and moments.

From profoundly personal recollections to reflections on how different football might have been, this anthology ensures that though these teams might not be the names on the cups, their influence on the game remains.

Starting with the story of the 1953 Bolton Wanderers side who gave away a 3-1 in the FA Cup Final to a Stanley Matthews inspired Blackpool to lose 4-3 right up until the Liverpool side of 2013-14 who blew their chance of a championship late in the Premier League campaign, and teams all over the world inbetween.

Each chapter, written by a different author, touches on the events in their life inside and outside of the performances of the team in question such as growing up in Dundee with legendary Scottish football writer Patrick Barclay whilst his beloved “Dee” flattered to deceive on the pitch, Michael Gibbons pain and suffering watching England in Euro96 or Daniel Storey’s shattered dreams after the 1991 FA Cup Final where his Nottingham Forest side were beaten by Spurs.

Of course, I may be biased but the best chapter is the one focusing on West Ham’s nearly men of 1985/86 seen through the eyes of a sixteen year old trying to develop a young love life whilst being distracted by Frank McAvennie.

The book can be ordered here priced £10.99

Rook divider


Lewes were on the wrong end of a nine-goal thriller, as they fell to a 5-4 defeat in an incredible game at Worthing, reports Tom Harper (Pictures by James Boyes – more can be viewed from the game here).

The Rooks started brightly and were ahead after just eight minutes through Joe Taylor, who beat Harrison Male from the penalty spot after Ollie Tanner had been tripped by Reece Myles-Meekums in the area.

Lewes doubled their lead four minutes later, Tanner sending in a free-kick from the right which was headed past Male by Matt Weaire at the far post.

Worthing responded well and pulled a goal back on 16 minutes, as Ollie Pearce finished into the roof of the net from close range after hesitant Lewes defending.

Despite this, the Rooks remained on the front foot and saw Taylor denied by Male after latching onto a Tanner through-ball, before having another effort blocked almost on the line just minutes later and then just failing to get on the end of a low cross-shot from Razzaq Coleman De-Graft which was also cleared off the line.

Lewes continued to look a threat whenever they went forward, with Tom Carlse the next player to go close by shooting straight at Male after a good run down the left.

The hosts made the most of these let-offs by levelling the scores on the half-hour, Pearce scoring from the spot after being fouled by Michael Klass as he attempted to latch onto a long kick forward by Male.

Worthing completed the turnaround by going 3-2 up just four minutes later, as former Rook Dayshonne Golding was given time to take a touch on the edge of the area before unleashing an unstoppable shot past Lewis Carey and into the bottom corner.

The hosts were understandably playing with confidence at this stage, and Mitchell Nelson had to be alert to turn a Marvin Armstrong cross-shot behind under pressure from Golding.

The Rooks then very nearly levelled the scores, as Tanner capitalised on a lapse in concentration in the Worthing defence and ran through on goal, but saw his strike kept out by Male.

Worthing nearly doubled their lead just before half-time, but found Carey in inspired form to tip a powerful Pearce effort round the post.

The hosts started the second half brightly and were able to make it 4-2 within a minute of the restart, as a Golding cross from the left was headed in at the far post by the unmarked Jasper Pattenden.

The next 20 minutes or so were the least eventful of the game, as Worthing kept possession and prevented Lewes from building up any pressure as they looked to find a route back into the game.

It was 5-2 on 72 minutes, Golding finishing into the roof of the net from close range after Lewes had been unable to clear a Jesse Starkey free-kick.

This should have led to a comfortable last 20 minutes for the hosts but Lewes had other ideas, and were handed a lifeline with 15 minutes remaining as Tanner saw a cross from the left handled in the area by Joel Colbran.

Taylor dispatched the penalty confidently to make it 5-3 and give the Rooks a glimmer of hope.

The Rooks had more than a glimmer of hope after 78 minutes, as Tanner sent an unstoppable 25-yard half-volley past Male and into the top corner to set up the grandstand finish such an incredible game arguably deserved.

Lewes pushed for an equaliser in the closing stages and the closest they came saw Tanner force a smart save from Male after an impressive run down the left.

The Rooks remained on the front foot late on but were unable to create another chance of note late on, and were left to reflect on the part they had played in an enthralling local derby that ultimately saw them return to East Sussex with only their third league defeat of the season.

Worthing: Male, Colbran, Tutt, Barker, Racine, Myles-Meekums, Armstrong (Diallo 71), Golding (Chalaye 85), Pearce (Cocorrachio 81), Starkey, Pattenden.
Unused Subs: Webber, Bartlett.
Booked: Tutt, Racine, Myles-Meekums, Pattenden.

Lewes: Carey, Yao, Carlse, Weaire, Nelson, Pritchard (Parker 76), Maloney, Klass (Olukoga 53), De-Graft (Moore 62), Tanner, Taylor.
Unused Subs: Colombie, D’Arienzo.
Booked: Yao, Nelson, Klass, Taylor.

Attendance: 1,619 (Approximately 200 Rooks)

Rook divider

Football is powerful. Its influence goes beyond the pitch and beyond the full-time whistle. And, for now, football is a majority male sport, in participation and watching it.

So what better place to take action against the epidemic of misogyny, sexism and male-on-female violence.

Because it’s time, it’s way beyond time, that men took personal responsibility for what all women have to endure, day in, day out.

This is a problem for men to resolve, not women.

Lewes FC’s men’s team want to do something, as a group and as individuals.

From today, when anyone in the men’s team (and managers, and coaches) hears or sees something said or done by a workmate, family member, friend or anyone they’re with, that they feel is disrespectful, sexist or harmful in any way to a woman, whether she’s there or not, they will speak to that man and they will #CallHimOut. That might make them feel uncomfortable. But nowhere near as uncomfortable as the women on the receiving end of every demeaning comment.

Our men’s team are good guys, like so many men, but now is the time to take action. And that action will include each man also calling themselves out sometimes, by going back on an ill-judged comment, by saying “Sorry, I shouldn’t have said that”. This is a decision that starts within each man, to be part of the solution and not part of the problem.

“What stuff should I call out? Who decides?” people (men) may ask. The answer is that each man will develop their own radar, their own code and will know, in their heart, when something needs to be called out.

This is something that every man can do and it will make a difference to women’s everyday lives.


Rook divider



Carshalton Athletic formed from two separate teams playing in the Wrythe Green area in Carshalton in the early twentieth century. After the First World War the club was reformed in 1919, and moved into their new (and current) home in Colston Avenue during the 1920–21 season. The interwar years were relatively uneventful. They became founding members of the Surrey Senior League in the 1922-23 season, winning the Surrey Intermediate Cup in 1922 and 1932.

After the Second World War preparations for the resumption in football at Colston Avenue began and Carshalton were elected into the Corinthian League, set up for the 1946–47 season. Several years of indifferent league form followed with only minor highlights in cup competitions, although the club continued to grow as evidenced by a record attendance of over 8000 for an FA Cup 3rd round qualifying tie against local rivals Tooting and Mitcham United

In the 1952–53 season Carshalton won the Corinthian League. The following season brought further success retaining the league title, and in the 1954–55 season they reached the final of the Surrey Senior Shield and the quarter finals of the FA Amateur Cup. In 1956 came election to the Athenian League. There was some little success in the FA Amateur Cup as the club reached the quarter finals for the second time in 1959–60. In the same season they won the Southern Combination Cup. In the Athenian League the best performance was in the 1963–64 season when the club managed to finish the season in third place. Around the ground floodlights were erected in 1967.

In the summer of 1973 Carshalton Athletic were elected as founder members of the newly created Isthmian League Division 2. In the 1976–77 season came promotion to the Isthmian Premier Division, a year in which they also won the Surrey Senior Shield.

After promotion Carshalton did not finish in the top half until the 1987–88 season. During this period they tried eight different managers and it was only with the appointment of Billy Smith, in August 1986, that fortunes turned. That era lasted almost nine years and was the most successful in Carshalton’s history. During his time in charge the team twice reached the 1st Round proper of the FA Cup, winning the Surrey Senior Cup three times in four years; they won the London Challenge Cup in 1991 but the period of success came to an end when Smith left and another rapid turnover of managers followed.

In 1997–98 Carshalton again reached the first round proper of the FA Cup, but by 2000 were in severe financial difficulties. The clubhouse was destroyed in an arson attack, and the ground’s landlords, Sutton Council, threatened the club with eviction for breaching their lease. At the end of that disastrous season, they were relegated to Division One. Two years later Graham Roberts led them to the Division One South title and promotion to the Premier Division. The following season, they qualified for the new Conference South. They retained their place in the Conference South in 2004–05, but in 2005–06, the club’s centenary season, they were relegated.

The season 2008–09 was the first full season under new ownership, buildings and facilities were upgraded, staff and personnel were changed and at the end of that season the club also changed its badge and its playing colours from maroon to red. In 2012, despite a mixed year overall, Carshalton Athletic were awarded the Community Club of the Year Award by becoming one of the largest community clubs in the UK, with over forty junior/youth teams including seven female teams.

Carshalton were relegated from the Isthmian Premier in the 2013–2014 season, but in 2018 they won the Division South title (the year we were runners-up) to return to the Premier Division. The first season back they finished runners-up and qualified for the playoffs, losing 2–1 in the semis. After the disruption of the last two seasons, Peter Adeniyi is in his sixth season as manager.


Peter Adeniyi – Manager

Nigerian-born Peter, a former player at the Pan between 2003-05, assumed the Robins’ managerial reins as a player in April 2016 and is credited by the club for improving Carshalton’s style of play, and developing their youth academy. Peter was already into his fourth season with them when he penned a three-year contract in 2019, although at 41 his impressive playing days are now behind him.

Lloyd Thomas – Goalkeeper

Lloyd has established himself as first choice ‘keeper since signing in 2019 from Weymouth FC.

Luke Read – Defender

At 18 Luke left his home in London to represent Northern Illinois University Men’s Soccer team in the USA and graduated with a degree in Finance. Luke is an ever present in the Robins defence this term and notched a goal in their season opener.

Jordan Cheadle – Defender

Jordan is comfortable either at left or centre-back. He joined the Robins from Walton Casuals in the summer of 2017.

Jalen Jones – Defender

Jalen has made seven appearances and scored one goal this season.

Paris Hamilton-Downes – Defender/Captain

Paris as skipper is an ever-present in the Carshalton side and notched himself a goal in their 3-0 win away at Leatherhead in August.

Bobby Price – Defender

Bobby is a right-back who has made four league appearances this season.

Ezechukwu Ebuzoene – Defender/Midfielder

Eze is a 22 year-old United States born centre-midfielder or defender who joined the Robins last summer.

Bradley Williams – Midfielder

Brad could be the goat in a Robins shirt. It is unlikely but we simply do not know. He has made seven appearances this season in all competitions.

Ernold Haxhiu – Midfielder

Ernold is a 20-year old midfielder, formerly a part of Leyton Orient’s youth set-up for four years. He has also played for Cambridge United and Enfield Town before arriving at Colston Avenue in September 2018.

Chris Sessegnon – Midfielder

Chris signed for the Robins this week followings his departure from Premier rivals Margate. He is 28 and has also had spells with Whitehawk, Eastbourne Borough, Ebbsfleet United, Dover Athletic, Kingstonian and Sutton United.

Daniel Bennet – Midfielder

Daniel is an ever present midfielder turning out eight times this season, with no goals.

Tommy Bradford – Midfielder

Tommy has notched 8 appearances this term without scoring.

Daniel Hector – Midfielder

Daniel is a Robins regular with two goals to his credit this term, one in the league the other in the FA Cup.

John Ufuah – Midfielder

John has made six appearances in all competitions and previously played for Dartford, Leatherhead, Three Bridges, and Whitstable Town.

Harry Ottaway – Forward

Harry’s eight appearances have returned the club two league goals.

Lewis White – Forward
22 year old Lewis joined from Dulwich Hamlet in 2019 initially on a one month loan deal. He can play up front or out wide and in seven games he has notched just one goal, in the FA Cup First Qualifying Round.

Daniel Bassett – Forward

Danny is a 26 year-old centre-forward who joined the Robins this summer from Hampton & Richmond. Among his former clubs are Tooting & Mitcham. He has scored two goals this term, one league, and one in the FA Cup Second Qualifying Round.




A goal on the stroke of half-time saw Lewes fall to an unfortunate 1-0 defeat at home to Carshalton Athletic, despite an encouraging performance that arguably deserved at least a share of the spoils, reports Tom Harper.

There were no chances of note early on, with both sides keeping possession reasonably well and looking solid defensively. The first opportunity of the game fell to Lewes, who saw Dayshonne Golding control a pinpoint cross-field ball from Stacey Freeman and force a fine save from Kleton Perntreou at his near post with a powerful effort. Perntreou was called into action again minutes later, making a smart save to keep out a 35-yard free-kick from James Hammond.

Despite this, it was the visitors who should have taken the lead approaching half-time as Nathan Stroomberg-Clarke came out of his area to clear a long ball but seemed to completely miss his kick, giving Lewis White the opportunity to shoot at an almost open goal. Thankfully for the Rooks, Frankie Chappell was on hand to block White’s goalbound effort.

Carshalton did take the lead right on the stroke of half-time though, as Christie Pattison capitalised on Freeman missing a long ball forward, ran through on goal and saw his strike just about cross the line despite the best efforts of Stroomberg-Clarke and Frankie Chappell, with the officials taking several seconds to award the goal.

Lewes started the second half brightly and should have equalised within minutes of the restart, as Billy Medlock drew another fine save from Perntreou at the end of an incisive passing move.

From the resulting corner taken by Stefan Ilic, Freeman hit the top of the bar with a thumping header.

Carshalton continued to look capable of punishing any lapses of concentration in the Lewes defence, however, and saw White shoot wide from the edge of the area after some hesitant defending.

The Rooks saw plenty of the ball throughout the second half as they looked to find a way back into the game, but were unable to turn this into clear-cut opportunities against their well-organised visitors.

The closest they came to equalising late on saw Perntreou react quickly to gather a low cross from substitute Jordy Mongoy just before the onrushing Charlie Coppola had the chance to finish from close range with ten minutes remaining. The remainder of the game passed with little incident and the Rooks were left to reflect on having no points to show for an encouraging performance.

Lewes: Stroomberg-Clarke, Day, Redwood, Malins, Chappell, Freeman, Golding (Diedrick-Roberts 80), Hammond, Coppola, Medlock, Ilic (Mongoy 64).

Unused Subs: Conlon, Yeboah, Reed.

Booked: Malins.

Carshalton Athletic: Perntreou, Haxhiu, Read, Dudley, Cheadle, Pappoe, Samuels (Sogbanmu 75), Bradford, Pattisson (Hein 88), Ottaway, White (Splatt 87).

Unused Subs: Adeniyi, Korboa.

Booked: Pappoe, White, Sogbanmu, Splatt.

Attendance: 576 (approx. 36 away fans)

Rook divider


Rook divider


Lewes exited the FA Trophy at the first hurdle for the third consecutive year after defeat at Bishop’s Stortford.

Rooks boss Tony Russell made a couple of changes to the side that lost by the odd goal in nine last Saturday at Worthing with new loan signing Will Salmon replacing Matt Weaire at the back, whilst fellow loanee Deon Moore getting his first start on the right and Freddie Parker deputising for the absent Joe Taylor, who had been hit by Covid.

No sooner had the game started than Lewes were one down after a corner to the far post was headed home by Jake Cass. The goal didn’t dent the Rooks approach and some neat approach play by Freddie Parker saw Olukoga in on goal but he sent his shot wide.

Ollie Tanner didn’t see much of the ball in the early stages but when he did he almost had an immediate impact, drifting inside the full back but his low shot was blocked for a corner.

As the half progressed the tackles began to fly in with Stortford’s Ryan Charles booked for a late challenge on Taylor Maloney, but two minutes later Michael Klass saw red for kicking out at his marker.

Just 90 seconds later Stortford had a second when Jake Cass’ free-kick from 25 yards beat the wall and Lewis Carey.

The Rooks needed a strong and fast start to the second half and that is exactly what they got when Olukoga was fouled in the box. With Joe Taylor absent Taylor Maloney stepped up but sent his kick over the bar.

The introduction of Razz Coleman De-Graft for Deon Moore injected some urgency into the Rooks play and within a minute Freddie Parker saw a shot well saved by Stortford’s keeper Jack Giddens.

The Rooks were certainly on top as they game entered the final quarter and finally started to put pressure on the home side’s defence. Taylor Maloney hit the bar after a great run by Kenny Yao and a strong run by Razz almost saw the ball find an unmarked Ollie Tanner. At the other end the home side wasted a couple of good chances, whilst Mitchell Nelson was fortunate not to pick up a second yellow as the game entered injury time.

It could have been a different result had we played the game with eleven men and had Maloney’s penalty been converted, but that’s football. We do it all again against Stortford next Saturday, this time in the Isthmian Premier League.

Bishop’s Stortford: Giddens, Edwards, Church, Robbins, Marlow, Cass (Baker 74 mins), Harris (Chandler 64 mins), Renee, Thomas, Charles, Wallace

Subs not used: Henshaw, Bird, Callander, Allum, Haines

Booked: Charles, Marlow, Haines

Lewes: Carey, Yao, Carlse, Nelson, Salmon, Klass, Maloney, Olukoga, Moore (Coleman De-Graft 61 mins), Tanner, Parker

Subs not used: Colombie, Weaire, Pritchard, D’Arienzo, Allen, Hall

Booked: Nelson, Tanner

Sent off: Klass

Attendance: 283 (23 travelling Rooks)

Rook divider


For those of you who didn’t go last Saturday that is!

About The Prokit UK Stadium
There won’t be many better grounds we will visit this season that Woodside Park, aka The Prokit UK Stadium. Whilst it may look relatively new, it was actually built back in 1999, but the club have been careful to put it back in its box at the end of each season to keep it looking so good. The Main Stand has a decent number of seats, set about 5 foot above the action and straddling the half-way line. Behind this is the decent-sized clubhouse (open from 2 hours before kick-off and various food serving outlets. Opposite the main stand is a smaller covered seating area whilst both ends offer covered terracing. There’s also an outside bar at the Town End, although Carlsberg is your only choice. The club shop also has a decent stock of badges and programmes from around the Non-Leagues for sale.

How to get to The Prokit UK Stadium
There are few easier grounds to find this season than Bishop’s Stortford’s Woodside Park, aka The Prokit UK Stadium. Well, that is if you are coming by road. Up the A23/M23, anti-clockwise on the M25, under the river (don’t forget the toll to pay online), exit at Junction 28 onto the M11 North and then come off at Junction 8 for Bishop’s Stortford – stay in the inside lane as you approach the junction and then at the roundabout take the second left (avoiding the temptation to go into the services), then a left at the next roundabout and follow the road for 500 metres and then a right as if you were going to the recycling centre (aka “the tip”). Of course, you could combine the opportunity to watch the Rooks with the disposal of some household waste but if not take a right into Dunmow Road for the ground. Plenty of parking is available but it will set you back £2. Distance from The Pan to Woodside Park is exactly 100 miles (if you follow the most direct, albeit not necessarily the quickest route due to traffic) and should take around 90 minutes.

For those arriving by train then your best bet is a service from London Liverpool Street which runs to Bishop’s Stortford in about 35 minutes. From the station it is a good 20-minute walk to the ground or five minutes in a cab. Pros of walking are that you get to visit a couple of decent pubs on the way (see Fancy a beer) and it costs you nowt. Quickest way by foot is to cross the railway bridge and take a right into London Road. Take first left into Warwick Road then follow to the end when it merges into Dunmow Road. Follow this, and once you’ve dog-legged to your right around the golf course, take the left-hand road (Woodside) for the ground.

Admission at The Prokit UK Stadium
Admission this season is £12 for adults, £8 for concessions (U16s, senior citizens and students), and accompanied under 12s are admitted free of charge.

Fancy a beer?
The Saffron Brewery is based in Bishop’s Stortford and worth trying to track down a pint or two of local ale. The Half Moon has a fairly good write up on UnTappd so could be worth a shout in North Street. The ever-reliable Wetherspoon option is the Port Jackson on Riverside Wharf, whilst the Red Cow on Dunmow Road is the nearest pub to the ground

Rook divider


Rook divider


In 2019 I undertook a tour of all the Welsh Premier League grounds, the then newly rebranded JD Cymru Premier League to give it it’s official title. OK maybe that would just be something a ‘groundhopper’ would do. Though ‘groundhopper’ was a moniker bestowed upon me by an Exeter fan at a pub in Stroud, coming back from Forest Green’s FA Cup tie against his team. I never really took to this moniker, I was trying to finish off my 92 League grounds before I couldn’t anymore. The name made me feel like a trainspotter ticking off train engines; note book in one hand and anorak…actually I did carry a note book on my journeys but no anorak…no matter how practical it would actually be.

So why did I choose one of the smallest premier leagues in Europe? With an average gate of just 350, many Isthmian League teams get more. Whilst doing my 92 I started writing for a magazine, Football Weekends, however the editor was refusing my ideas after a while. He wanted more Welsh teams…I obliged. First Weekend I managed to get three in, all in the North East; Airbus UK Broughton, Connors Quay Nomads and the then champions TNS.

I have to say that I have nothing to do with Wales, no relatives, distant grandfathers that I know of, I hadn’t even got a particular affinity for the country. I had been to the “Big Four” English league teams that are in Wales and the Millenium Stadium, now Principality, to see my own team West Ham United play in the 2005 Play-Off final but never really explored Wales’ beauty.

So off I trot, one rainy August day to the north east and Broughton, near Chester but over the border, the works team of Airbus UK. Behind one of the goals a runway, with planes landing whilst the game is going on. Massive transporter planes for the works, carrying plane parts…the team are known as the Wingmakers as the factory produces wings for the Airbus. High fences, a couple of small modern stands and a pavilion that looks like an out of town MacDonalds drive through. Rain turns to sun as I take in the second half against Bala, who are already 2-0 up. The mixture of August sun bouncing off the plastic pitch, salt and vinegar from the chips and humidity from the drying rain taking me back to my early childhood holidays. The home side pulled one back in the second half but it wasn’t enough.

For me it was enough to convince me that I had to do the lot. The plus point was that there were only 12 teams. They play each other twice, then there is a split for the second phase and top half plays top and bottom plays…yes you’ve guessed. After that the team finishing top in the bottom half goes into a play-off with the teams finishing 2-6 for a Europa League place. At the end of previous season the students at Cardiff Met finished 7th and won a place in the Europa League, getting national headlines after drawing Luxembourg’s Progres Niederkorn, who had beaten Rangers a few years previously. The Students narrowly lost on away goals but got some valuable publicity for the newly-named league.

The only ground I had announced my arrival at was the then champions, The New Saints, who play over the border in Oswestry. This was after checking their website and a generous offer for groundhoppers to be given a tour prior to the match appealed to me. I then met the Angling Rev, Stewart Bloor, Media Officer who took me around and has since kept touch via email, even doing a blog on his own and TNS’ website when I released the original From Saints to Druids book.

After that trio I visited Penybont in Bridgend, for a Friday night fixture. The autumn sunlight going down on the hills, the photos I took didn’t do it justice. I used the Saturday to visit a friend in Swansea and a lovely day in the Mumbles, made even better by the fact West Ham had beaten Watford away. In fact West Ham weren’t far from my thoughts on this adventure, always one eye on the score, or my mobile, when the fixtures clashed. The JD Cymru kicks off at 2:30 on Saturdays, so coming out of Connor’s Quays seeing the Irons 1-0 up against Brighton, who were doing well made me nervous, and I had the right to be as they scored a last -minute equalizer to dampen the day a bit. At Barry the Hammers were playing Man Utd, a Sunday kick off which clashed with the game, so tried to watch both from the windowed club house.

Though I went alone I did meet up with some people there, most notably at Barry Town United, speaking to doyen of Welsh Football knowledge, David Collins. Since that point he has given me invaluable help in getting my facts straight for the book. This is not as straightforward as it may seem; Wales only had a national league from 1992, same year as the English Premier League was formed. Before that it two leagues that covered north and south. Many Welsh teams also playing in the English non-leagues. The politics of this is very convoluted, and contained in detail in the book, but David managed to simplify it enough for me. He later edited the book and put me right on a few things.

After my travels and the game finishing what were my conclusions? Was I a cynical English Premier League fan, sneering down at our neighbours? Missing visiting the big boys? Not a chance, I really enjoyed my trips, luckily finished before the pandemic put an end to the season and Connor’s Quay Nomads putting an end to eight consecutive TNS titles, decided on a points per game system. TNS objected to this as they had a game in hand but lost their case. I found the places friendly, most had clubhouses and sold food, which was cheap. Most grounds were basic but were tidy and up-to-date. The countryside at times spectacular, especially around Bala and Cefn Mawr, Wrexham, home of Cefn Druids.

As for the book, it was the first time I had written one. I decided to self-publish; it seemed easier than trying to convince publishers. It got good reviews, which sort of surprised me, I did expect some flack, especially from hard-core Welsh fans; tourist from England telling them about their own league. It didn’t occur. I got some good comments and hope to meet some of the fans and administrators when I go back. If there were any bad reviews I wasn’t shown them…not that I’m in a hurry to get them. I even managed to sell out the first run, so decided to go flash and make the next edition hardback and with colour photos, a lot more expensive to produce but why not?

As for anyone reading this and thinking of taking in a JD Cymru game, I would say go for it, you won’t be disappointed. Anyone thinking of writing that book and having a few reasons why not, then just do it…you won’t regret it.

Special edition From Saints to Druids: A Discovery of Welsh Football by Michael Grimes available from www.dognduck.net or michael@inspiredwizards.com

Rook divider


We always look forward to this fixture. We’re not sure why. Margate is not the same thriving seaside resort we knew in our youth when a visit to the legendary Dreamland was the first thing we thought of. Maybe it’s the fond memories of that fabulous Only Fools and Horses episode. Aside from that, the Rooks have rarely done well in this fixture over the years. We do remember winning once, an evening game when Margate were lodging at Ashford. A couple of Lewes players turned up ten minutes before kick off as they had gone to Hartsdown Park instead and found it quieter than a churchyard.

It’s a rotten drive from Lewes to Margate. It’s about eighty miles and all single carriageway if one takes the shorter cross country route rather than the longer boring motorway route that is often congested. Cross country is quite scenic driving in daylight but not so much fun coming home after dark.  So we let the train take the strain. The connections are not that convenient at Ashford thanks to whoever dreamt up the timetable, and the last part of the journey would be by a dreaded Rail Replacement bus, but we were prepared to put up with that, and at fifteen quid each we didn’t think it was too bad. So PJ, Gary the Badge and Steve met up bright and early at Lewes station for the 9.27 to Hastings along with several members of the Youth Wing who had chosen the same train. Roly jumped on at Polegate, a quick change at Hampden Park and after some of the usual banter we were soon at Ashford International with over half an hour to kill.

It never ceases to amaze us the outrageous prices that station buffets charge. £2.49 for a cup of tea in a cardboard cup. £1.29 for a Mars/Twix/KitKat etc. Extracting The Michael or what? PJ declined the refreshments on sheer principle although the others succumbed to the temptation.

Next stop was Ramsgate where we would pick up the rail replacement bus and witness another brilliant piece of planning. A thirty-something seater for about fifty-something passengers. We got on. About a dozen didn’t. The poor young girl in the hi-viz with the clipboard must have drawn the short straw and was getting some right GBH of the ear from the unlucky dozen. Whatever she gets paid it isn’t enough.

The bus dropped us off along the seafront. It was a lovely sunny day and the sandy beach looked very inviting but we had all left our Speedos at home. The Stodgebusters in budgie smugglers? Modelling agencies would be queueing up. Unsurprisingly lunch was our priority and we plumped for the Brewers Fayre just outside the station. Now these places can be a bit variable in quality but this one had served us well before. This time we were handed a menu but then pointed towards a lengthy handwritten list of items on the menu that were sold out. Oh great. About half the menu was unavailable. But we decided to stick it out and all found something we liked. Three of us went for a gammon steak with a variety of either fried eggs or pineapple on top with a mountain of chips. Gary tucked into a Sloppy Joe burger. We were all well satisfied and gave it a Stodge-o-meter rating of 8.

It’s not far to the ground from the station, past the huge and ugly carbuncle tower block that dominates the skyline and the now sadly silent Dreamland. Nine pounds for a concession had the more mature members of our party chuntering their disapproval.

Lewes started off brightly and seemed on top immediately but with only four minutes played a ball over the top caught the Lewes defence too high. A swift low ball across the box left an easy tap in.

Lewes were level within three minutes when Yao surged into the box and was tripped as he was about to pull the trigger. Joe Taylor sent the keeper the wrong way and despatched the penalty.

A Margate free kick was pinged into the box. The ensuing header was unchallenged, hit the post and rolled across the face of the goal. Margate were quickest to react. The ball was squared back across the goal for an easy two yard tap in with the defence static for 2-1.

We were still confident at half time that we could turn it around. We thought Lewes had been the better team. The home keeper had pulled off a couple of really good saves to keep us out and right on half time a goal bound effort had been headed off the line.

 Eight minutes into the second half and a long ball down the left was chased down by De Graft who outmuscled a defender before squaring to Maloney to rifle home for 2-2.

Within 4 minutes Lewes were ahead when Maloney got the ball just inside the box and  finished beautifully. 2-3.

Lewes were on the rampage. They were playing some of the best football we had seen since the heady days at the top of Conference South and we were loving it. Margate couldn’t get a kick and were being torn apart. On the hour Ollie Tanner, who had given the young full back a torrid afternoon, picked up the ball on the left and beat four players Jimmy Greaves style before crashing an unstoppable fourth into the roof of the net from a tight-ish angle. What a goal. If that had been in the Premiership Alan Shearer would be raving about it on Match of The Day.

72 minutes. A pass out by Carey was superbly flicked on by Tanner who turned and gave chase leaving his hapless marker floundering. A bit like Gazza v Scotland in Euro 96. He drove into the area and found the bottom corner for the fifth. What a goal again! Ollie was on fire. Bromley must have a hell of a team to let him go. At this point PJ stuck his neck out and stated that he fancied Lewes to win it. We wondered if the fire alarm had been set off at the clubhouse end as swathes of home supporters headed to the exit.

The home defence looked pretty relieved to see the back of Tanner when he was subbed near the end but his replacement, Iffy Allen, carried on the torture and within seconds Maloney secured his hat trick by latching onto a clever through ball and firing it past the keeper on 83 minutes for number six.

What a second half. If it had been boxing the referee would have stopped the fight. Margate looked like they had done 12 rounds with Tyson Fury. They couldn’t handle Lewes in that form. Some of the quick one touch passing was 1970 Brazilianesque at times. It was pandemonium behind the goal every time we scored.

Six – two. It could easily have been double figures. We never saw that coming. We might have even taken a point pre-match. We were all in very good spirits on the journey home. It’s days like this that stick in the memory. PJ even forked out for that cup of tea at Ashford International!

The Stodgebusters will return for the big one. Monty’s Cafe and Worthing.

Rook divider


In his excellent Sportnomics, Gavin Newsham examines the question we will all be asking ourselves in two weeks when San Marino host England “If they can play for San Marino, why can’t I?”. We’ve all seen some bad players here at the Pan, many of whom I am sure we have thought we could do better than. But what would it take to play International Football for a small nation like San Marino?

Newsham’s maths make interesting reading and I have taken the liberty of updating some of his numbers since it was written a decade ago. In 2019 the population of the principality was just 34,530, meaning the whole country could fit into The Coventry Building Society Arena, of which 16,970 were male. More importantly, 5,431 men are in the “football playing age” bracket of 16 to 35 years old. Newsham looked at the position of goalkeeper, where an international squad will typically have 3 options in every squad.

Using some calculations based on the take up of youngsters in our Premier League he deduced that for every 7 footballers in San Marino, one will play at an international level. Factor in the keeper situation and you stand a 1 in 2.4 chance of playing for your country.

Where do I sign up? As if it was that simple – to qualify to play for San Marino, unless you have parents who have lived there for 30 years you are stuffed. We can only but dream.

Rook divider


“The Isthmian Football League strongly supports the FA statement that there should be a zero tolerance approach against racism and all forms of discrimination. Accordingly any form of discriminatory abuse whether it by reason of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion and belief, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, sex and sexual orientation or any other form of abuse will be reported to The Football Association for action by that Association.” (The FA 0800 085 0508 / Kick it Out 020 7253 0162).The Isthmian League and all Member Clubs in the League are committed to promoting equality by treating people fairly and with respect, by recognising that inequalities may exist, by taking steps to address them and providing access and opportunities for all members of the community.”

Lewes 2000 FC Limited. Registered in England and Wales with Company Registration Number 03790979. Lewes 2000 FC Limited is 100% owned by Lewes Community Football Club.

Honorary President Terry Parris
Chair Stuart Fuller
Directors Sue Anstiss MBE (co-opted), Ed Briggs, Charlie Dobres, Karen Dobres, Stuart Fuller, John Peel, Ed Ramsden, Claire Rafferty (co-opted) Trevor Wells
Chief Executive Officer Maggie Murphy
Club Secretary John Peel
Youth Secretary Kevin Brook
Operations Manager James Barker
COVID Officer Lynne Burrell

Equality FC Campaign Manager Karen Dobres

Life Members
Mr and Mrs Brook, Vic Blunt, Pat Dartnell, Gary Elphick, Gordon Fowlie, Peter Hiscox RIP, Billy Nixon, Derrick Parris, Terry Parris, Jimmy Quinn, P. Swaysland, Steve Ibbitson, Jason Hopkinson, Steve White, Martin Elliot, Kevin Fingerneissl, Kevin Powell, David and Barbara Arnold, Roger and Cathy Feltham, Ethel Treagus, Roy Dartnell RIP, Ron Moore, Derek Southouse, Ray Smith, Ken Carter RIP

Manager Tony Russell
Assistant manager Joe Vines
Head of Recruitment Adam Drew
First team coach Dale Hurley
First team coach Nathan White
First team physio Tom Parker
Goalkeeping coach Grant Hall
Match logistics Vik Dogra
Kitman Clive Burgess
Data Analyst Shaun Harrison
Head of Performance Kelly Lindsey
Under-18s Manager Dale Hurley
Under-18s Assistant Manager Craig Stevens
Under-18s Coach Jake Legrange

Golden Rook Rob Read
Web Editor Stuart Fuller
Progcast Editors Paul Sheppard and Stuart Fuller
Club Photographer James Boyes

Rook divider