Saturday 19th February 2022 3pm – The Dripping Pan – The Isthmian Premier League

Welcome to The Dripping Pan for this afternoon’s Pitching In Isthmian Premier League game with Margate. Here is your complimentary e-programme.


Good afternoon everyone and welcome back to the Dripping Pan. I’m writing these notes on Friday morning as Storm Eunice is battering the South East of England and I hope that that everyone is safe and sound after a wild few days! I’d like to thank the volunteers who have helped over the last 24 hours in repairing the damage around the ground caused by the storm – we were lucky to avoid a lot of structural damage.

Welcome to the fans, players, management and officials from Margate and I hope their journey here and back is as smooth as possible. Last Saturday we came away with all three points from Carshalton Athletic, which I believe is the first time in 16 years that we have won there. It wasn’t just the three points that were pleasing but the nature of the performance. We are nursing a few injuries and absentees from the squad and to dominate the game, against a very good side like Carshalton says a lot. Both of our goals were excellent, coming from Michael and Razz in the space of 60 seconds, underlining the talent we have throughout the squad.

It was disappointing to have our game on Tuesday called off as we are building momentum and it would have been a good time to play Leatherhead. Tony and I saw them a couple of weeks ago when they hosted Margate and they are a much stronger outfit than they were when we beat them in October and so playing them when they are still “forming” as a squad now would have been preferable.

Few of us who went to Margate back in October will have had a better day out in recent times. The sun was shining and we really turned on the style in the second half, with five unanswered goals. That gave everyone a glimpse of what we can do and that’s what made the game last Saturday so good to see again.

The results at the top of the league in recent weeks have underlined how competitive things are still. Kingstonian’s 4-0 defeat at Worthing, the second successive 4-0 defeat for the K’s has dented their promotion ambitions, whilst the surprise of the night on Tuesday was Enfield’s 4-1 drubbing at Wingate & Finchley. We have a huge month coming up with Worthing and Bishop’s Stortford here, plus a trip to Folkestone Invicta.

Get behind the team and make some noise!

Come On You Rooks!



In a break from the norm, Tony has passed the pen over to First Team Coach Nathan White to look ahead to the game against Margate.

Carshalton are always a side that we treat with respect – Peter (Adenyi) has done a great job. They play some really good football but I thought we started strongly, and Taylor hit the post before their guy hit a worldie that Lew had no chance with. But we bounced and Klassy scored a superb goal and even though we were screaming at Razz to square the ball, you can’t moan at his finish for the second. What was really pleasing in the second half was the determination that we had in defending – Matty and Will throwing themselves in front of the ball to make blocks. It was a really big three points for us.

We was looking forward to the Leatherhead game on Tuesday. We had an eye on the forecast – we wanted to keep the momentum going from Saturday but it wasn’t to be. So we trained hard on Wednesday with Joe and myself taking the session, which was as competitive as usual then Tony finished off with the patterns of play for today’s game.

We are prepared as we can be for Margate. They are a good side and I’ve been to see them a few times this season as they are relatively local to me. I’ve got a lot of time for Jay Saunders – when I first started coaching I was at Maidstone United when he was the boss and he was really supportive. Ben Greenhalgh, who scored for them on Tuesday night, is a good friend of mine and we still coach together now. It will be a real test but we are at home and the crowd has been fantastic here at the Pan this season. When I’ve worked at other clubs we used to love coming here for the atmosphere so please keep coming in your numbers and keep that noise up – it really makes a difference to the boys but stop giving Carlsy his five minutes of fame at the end if we win!


R.I.P STEVE BURTENSHAW (1935 to 2022)

Former Brighton & Hove Albion player, and Rooks Season Ticket Holder, Steve Burtenshaw sadly passed away this week, peacefully at the age of 86 at his home in Worthing.

Burtenshaw, born in Portslade, served the Seagulls from 1951 until 1967 as player and coach.

The wing-half made 237 league appearances for Albion, scoring three goals and helping them win titles in both Division Three South and the Fourth Division.

He also served as coach or manager at Arsenal, Sheffield Wednesday, Everton and QPR, then became a scout for Manchester City under Kevin Keegan.

Our sympathies go out to Steve’s family.


Lewes moved up to third in the table with a hard-fought 3-2 win over East Thurrock United at the Pan, reports Tom Harper (pictures from James Boyes).

Tony Russell made four changes to the side that lost 3-1 to Hornchurch in their previous game, with Matt Weaire, Taylor Maloney, Ollie Tanner and Freddie Parker, returning from an impressive loan spell at Barking, replacing Mitchell Nelson, Bradley Pritchard, Deshane Dalling and Casey Pettit in the starting line-up.

The opening quarter of the game passed with very little goalmouth incident at either end, as Lewes enjoyed plenty of possession without testing Ciaran Gordon-Stearn in the East Thurrock goal.

Lewes soon began to apply more pressure though, with Joe Taylor seeing a strike cleared off the line by Sam Collins, before Ollie Tanner forced a smart save from Gordon-Stearn minutes later after patient build-up play.

The Rooks broke the deadlock on 32 minutes through Juevan Spencer, who scored his first goal for the club with a superb volley into the top corner from inside the area after excellent play down the right by Razz Coleman De-Graft.

Lewes doubled their lead four minutes later, as De-Graft applied the finish to a scintilating passing move involving Michael Klass, Freddie Parker and Taylor.

The visitors made a bright start to the second half as they looked for a route back into the game, with the lively Johnny Ashman cutting in from the left before sending a curling effort just wide of the far post.

East Thurrock pulled a goal back just after the hour mark, as Ashman latched onto a Ben Wyss through-ball before lifting his strike from distance over the onrushing Lewis Carey and into the bottom corner.

The visitors nearly levelled the scores barely a minute later, with a Ryan Boswell free-kick from just inside the Lewes half being helped goalwards and dropping just wide.

Lewes were doing their best to manage the game and restricted East Thurrock to a couple of tame efforts from distance that Carey dealt with comfortably heading into the closing stages.

The Rooks then had a great chance to put the game to bed themselves, as Taylor teed up De-Graft, who ran through on goal but saw his strike superbly pushed round the post by Gordon-Stearn.

Lewes restored their two-goal advantage with a minute remaining. Casey Pettit was the scorer, finishing from close range after Will Salmon controlled a Klass corner at the far post before playing it back across goal.

There was still time for East Thurrock to ensure a nervy final few minutes of injury-time, as they were awarded a penalty after Ollie Miles was adjudged to have been fouled in the area as he attempted to get on the end of a cross from the left.

Miles took the penalty himself and sent Carey the wrong way from the spot to halve the deficit and keep the visitors in with a chance of getting a result.

Thankfully for the majority of the 808-strong crowd at the Pan, Lewes saw out the remainder of the game comfortably to return to winning ways and move up to third in the table.

Lewes: Carey, Spencer, Carlse, Salmon, Weaire, Klass, Maloney (Gillies 85), Parker (Pettit 68), Tanner (Dalling 68), De-Graft, Taylor.

Unused Subs: Yao, Hall.

Booked: Klass.

East Thurrock United: Gordon-Stearn, Boswell, Collins, Barton, Ujah, Mitchell-Nelson, Ashman (Osei-Owusu 66), Spooner, Miles, Hope (Gordon 88), Wyss (Dantas-Carvalho 67).

Unused Subs: Dear, Robinson.

Booked: Barton, Mitchell-Nelson.

Attendance: 808


One of our legendary fans, Susie Arlett, will celebrate a very special birthday on the 27th February and everyone at the club wants to wish her a fantastic day!



Margate Football Club was founded in 1896, reformed in 1924 (as Margate Town), and again in 1929 when Margate moved to their current home at Hartsdown Park.

From 1934 until 1938 Margate served as the official nursery side for Arsenal. Under this arrangement the London club regularly loaned promising young players to Margate. Famous players, such as Eddie Hapgood, turned out for them whilst regaining match fitness after injury. In the second season of this arrangement, 1935-36, Margate reached the third round proper of the FA Cup for the first time, losing 3–1 to Blackpool.

In 1959 Margate gained promotion from the Kent League to the Southern League, and in 1963 won the Division One title with promotion to the Premier Division. Two years later the club turned full-time professional, but this proved unsustainable after they were relegated back to Division One in 1966. Despite that, they won promotion at the first attempt and returned to the Premier Division in 1967.

During the 1970s Margate suffered financial problems, but took part in two famous FA Cup ties. In 1971 they lost 11–0 to Bournemouth, with Ted MacDougall scoring a cup record nine goals. The following year they met Tottenham Hotspur in the third round with a record crowd of 14,500 packed into Hartsdown Park for the game, which Margate lost 6–0.

Margate discussed a merger with neighbours, Ramsgate, to form a new team representing the whole Isle of Thanet as a solution to financial problems being experienced by both clubs. Those negotiations failed and Ramsgate ultimately had no involvement in the formation of Thanet United FC in 1981, although that turned out to be purely a name change for Margate. Thanet District Council were not prepared to put any funding into Thanet United, and the idea of a merger was finally abandoned.

In 1989 a new board took over and the club’s name reverted to Margate FC. In 1997-8 they reached the first round proper of the FA Cup, playing Fulham in a home tie that drew a crowd of 5,100. Margate took the lead but eventually lost 2–1. The following season saw the club win promotion to the Southern League Premier Division, winning the championship in 2001 and promotion to the Football Conference.

In 2002 Margate began ground sharing at Dover Athletic, and enjoyed more FA Cup success. They beat Leyton Orient in the first round, before going out 0-3 to Cardiff City. The following season, despite finishing sixteenth, Margate were relegated due to the ongoing delays and problems with the redevelopment plans for Hartsdown Park. They spent the 2004-05 season in the Conference South, ground sharing at Ashford Town, and suffered another relegation to the Isthmian League.

In August 2005 they returned to Hartsdown Park after a three-year absence. In 2015, under manager Terry Brown, Margate finished third in the Isthmian League Premier Division, securing promotion to the National League South through their play-off victories. They avoided relegation by goal difference in their first season, but were relegated in bottom place a year later, 2017; since the 2017-2018 season Margate have been in the Isthmian Premier. Our visitors currently lie 8th in the league on 48 points.


Jay Saunders – Manager

Jay played for Lewes briefly in 2006, but he is most closely associated with Maidstone Utd where he distinguished himself over the years as a player. He was initially appointed caretaker manager there in 2011 and went on to lead them to three promotions in four seasons, from Isthmian South to the National League. Margate FC say they were able to avoid relegation in the 2018-2019 season thanks largely to the presence of Jay Saunders as temporary manager. At the start of the 2019-2020 campaign, fan favourite Jay became the permanent manager.

Ben Bridle-Card – Goalkeeper

Ben is a 24 year old keeper signed from Sevenoaks Town in November 2021. He reunites with manager Jay Saunders from their time at Maidstone Utd.

Billy Johnson – Goalkeeper

Billy was on the books at Charlton Athletic for four years as a youngster. He is a 22 year old ‘keeper signed on loan from Maidstone Utd in January 2022. 

George Lamb – Defender

George is a young full-back who joined after impressing in pre-season. A local boy, his Dad, Paul, is the club’s Development Manager who played for the Gate in the 90s.

Crossley Lema – Defender

Crossley is a 22 year old full back who graduated through the Sutton Utd academy. He was signed in October 2021 from Leatherhead.  

Joe Anderson – Defender

Joe started his career with Fulham, and also had a spell with Lincoln City. He is a 31 year-old with bags of experience.

Lewis KnightDefender

Lewis joined Margate in the summer of 2021 from National League side Billericay Town. A commanding centre-half, he has enjoyed spells with East Thurrock, St Albans, Maidstone, and Billericay.

Ben SwiftDefender/captain

Ben is centre-half and team captain. He was voted in the Kent Online team of the season in 2018/19 and will skipper the side for the third successive campaign.

Montel AgyemangMidfielder

Montel joined Margate in the summer of 2021 from National League South, Welling Utd. He played for Leyton Orient’s first team in 2014, and went on to join Maldon & Tiptree, with spells at East Thurrock United, and Wealdstone, before joining Welling.

Harrison Hatfull – Midfielder

The 20 year old played for Margate in the 2018/19 season before signing for Bearsted. He re-signed for the Gate in October 2021.

Sam Blackman – Midfielder

Sam returned to Hartsdown Park in the summer of 2021 having played previously during season 2017/18. The midfielder has also played for Leatherhead, Concord Rangers, Dartford, and Hythe Town.

Reece Prestedge – Midfielder

Reece is an experienced midfielder who joined the Gate from Welling Utd in 2019. He is said to add guile and leadership to their midfield. This is Reece’s third season under Jay Saunders, and he is a player/coach.

James Bessey-Saldanha – Midfielder

James is a winger who signed for Margate after having impressed in behind-closed-doors friendlies. The 25-year old played most recently at Sevenoaks Town.

Ryan Palmer – Midfielder

Ryan is a versatile midfielder who joined Margate in the summer of 2021. The 30-year-old has played for a range of clubs, such as Hythe Town, Ashford United, VCD Athletic, Merstham, and Sittingbourne.

Ben GreenhalghMidfielder/Forward

Ben joined Margate in the summer of 2021 to team up with his former Maidstone Utd manager, Jay Saunders. His previous clubs include Dartford, Tonbridge Angels, as well as time in Scotland playing for Inverness, and Stenhousemuir.

Benas Vaivada Forward

Ben is a 20 year old striker who signed for Margate in January 2022 after scoring five goals in 14 games for Tower Hamlets. He has also played in Poland for MKS Puzcza Niepolomice.

Joseph Gbode – Forward

Joseph is on a one month loan from Sky Bet League One side, Gillingham FC, from the start of February. The striker played his part in the Gills U18s run to the Youth Alliance Final in 2021; he also played for their first team this season in the FA Cup.

Nkori Bola – Forward

Nkori is a striker who impressed in pre-season, who has previously played for Royston, Glebe, Tonbridge Angels, and Sittingbourne.

Ken Feyi – Forward

Ken is described as a competitive striker who signed for Margate in November 2021. He  has also played for Brightlingsea Regent, Stratford Town, and Aylesbury United.


9th Oct 2021 – Margate 2 Lewes 6
10th Oct 2020 – Lewes 1 Margate 0
24th Aug 2019 – Margate 2 Lewes 0
23rd Jan 2019 – Lewes 0 Margate 0
1st Sept 2018 – Margate 0 Lewes 1
1st Jan 2015 – Margate 3 Lewes 0



Lewes recorded their first win of the 2020/21 season with a headed goal late in the game by captain Luke Blewden. In a game of few chances, Ronnie Conlon brought the best out of Margate keeper Bailey Vose on a couple of occasions in the first half, whilst Rooks keeper Nathan Stroomberg-Clarke made a good save with his feet from John Ufah on the hour mark. The deciding effort came from a cross from James Beresford in the 74th minute which Luke Blewden met and guided the ball over the Margate keeper into the top corner.


Lewes Football Club and Raystede Centre for Animal Welfare, an animal charity which rescues and re-homes animals, are teaming up.

Covid has made this a very tough two years for people and pets. Increasing numbers of cats, dogs and other animals acquired during lockdowns have found themselves needing new homes as work patterns return to normal or people’s circumstances change.

Stephanie Smith, Raystede’s CEO commented: “In 2021, we helped 1,724 animals. Many of the animals that currently need our help were lockdown pets and have complex behavioural issues meaning they are staying with us for a longer period of time to be rehabilitated and re-homed.

Due to the pandemic we had to close to visitors for many months which resulted in a substantial loss of revenue, it will take some time for our charity to financially recover. Teaming up with Lewes FC will give us a real boost, helping us both to reach out to our local community.”

And Lewes FC as a 100% community-owned football club has a mission ‘to use football as an engine for social good’ looking to help its community, including the furry ones.

So, the club reached out to the local animal rescue centre to see if it could help by using its platform of over 1,000 owners in the Sussex area, social media reach across tens of thousands, and regular large match day crowds of hundreds, to help Raystede’s animals find new and loving homes.

Club Director Karen Dobres commented: “Raystede are doing a fantastic job of helping many pets who can no longer be looked after by their owners. And our players were keen to help out too on Raystede’s volunteer scheme.”

So, this week, goalkeeper Tatiana Saunders and defender Sophie O’Rourke went to Raystede and met Maverick, a 9-year-old Husky. This handsome boy will be Lewes FC’s first ever ‘Mascot of the Month’ and will hopefully find the perfect new home (though he’s not keen on cats). Each month, different players will go to Raystede and meet new pets in need of rehoming.

Tatiana added: “I just loved meeting Maverick and all the animals at Raystede. What they do there is incredible. And, you know, we do have something in common… Raystede are always on the lookout for new owners and so are we as a 100% fan owned club, to add to the 2,000+ owners we have worldwide!”

If you’re interested in adopting Maverick or one of the many cats, dogs and other animals in need of a home, go to Raystede’s website at


On the 2nd June 1978 history was made at the Football League’s Annual General Meeting held at the Café Royal in London.  Every year the clubs got to vote on whether the teams who had finished at the bottom of the then Division Four would be “re-elected” to the Football League for the following season, or replaced by a team from the Non-Leagues.  

There was no formalised Non-League pyramid as there is today with any club who felt they had the resources able to make an application to join the league.  In the previous decade, clubs such as Chelmsford City, Romford, Gravesend & Northfleet and Altrincham had made applications to get into the league without success, with the advantage always with the league sides and the closed shop operated by the Football League Chairman.  That was until 1977 when Workington became the first team voted out of the league in five years, having finished adrift at the bottom of the Fourth Division, replaced by Wimbledon FC.  

However, it was events on Regent Street a year later that would be remembered in the annuls of footballing history.

The bottom four sides in the Fourth Division in that season in order were:-

The four teams would be joined in the vote by Bath City and Wigan Athletic, the two representatives from the Southern and Northern Leagues respectively.  Wigan Athletic hadn’t even won their respective league, finishing runners-up to Boston United in the Northern Premier League although they were no strangers to playing their hand in trying to gain election, having made 34 previous applications.

In the first round of voting, York City, Rochdale and Hartlepool United topped the voting, meaning they were safe, whilst Bath City received just 21 votes and were discounted.  But Wigan Athletic and Southport both gained 26 votes meaning a second vote was needed.

Unfortunately, Southport lost by 29 votes to 20 and were ceremoniously kicked out of the league, the last club ever to suffer the re-election fate – the next eight seasons saw the Football League clubs close ranks and re-elect the teams at the bottom.  

The Southport fans blamed the trumpet-playing pub landlord and chairman, Walter Stanley Giller although Wigan Athletic had been very canny in their campaigning, bringing in former England Manager Sir Alf Ramsey to help influence some of the voters – every Football League club got to vote, not just the teams in Division Four and he was still a revered character in English football and was able to sway the vote with some of the clubs in the higher league.

On 23 May 1986, the last time a re-election vote was held, Exeter City, Cambridge United, Preston North End and Torquay United had their league places confirmed while Enfield was denied a place in the league. The system of re-election was replaced by a one-up promotion, one-down relegation situation the following season with Lincoln City finishing bottom on goal difference from Torquay United, replaced by Scarborough.

From 1958 when the fourth tier of English football was created, until 1986, 32 different Football League clubs had to apply for re-election, with only five not getting the backing from their fellow Football League clubs. Aside from Southport and Workington, Barrow, Bradford Park Avenue and Gateshead lost their Football League places in the re-election process, the last of those only once finishing in the bottom four of the league. Hartlepool United made a record eleven successful re-election attempts, whilst future Premier League clubs Swansea City, Blackpool and Bradford City surviving the process.


Once again we are thwarted in our quest to find a game in recent history on the exact day, so rather than remembering the 6-1 defeat at Wealdstone from a decade ago, we’ve chosen a Ryman League South game here at the Pan against the Terrors from Tooting & Mitcham United. Remember that sunny afternoon? Let’s see with five of the best (answers at the end of the progcast).


#1. The Rooks had a sub keeper on the bench for this game who had made his debut back in November. Who was he?

#2. Who was the popular, attacking left-back for the Rooks on that afternoon?

#3. Where in the Ryman League South were the Terrors when they arrived at The Pan for this game?

#4. Who scored Lewes' wide player only goal of the game in the 90th minute?

#5. What was the final score?



First-half goals from Michael Klass and Razz Coleman De-Graft helped Lewes to an impressive 2-1 win at Carshalton Athletic.

Tony Russell made two changes to the side that beat East Thurrock in their previous game, with Casey Pettit and Deshane Dalling replacing Freddie Parker and Ollie Tanner in the starting line-up.

The Rooks made a bright start and came close to taking the lead early on through Taylor Maloney, who saw his shot from the edge of the area come back off the post after an impressive passing move.

Carshalton made the most of this let-off by going ahead themselves on 12 minutes, as Daniel Bassett unleashed an unstoppable 30-yard pile-driver that flew past Lewis Carey and into the top corner.

Despite falling behind, Lewes continued to look dangerous every time they went forward, with Razz Coleman De-Graft shooting just wide after being teed up by Joe Taylor.

The game was becoming an end-to-end contest as the half progressed, and Carey was forced into a smart save to deny Daniel Roberts after the hosts won the ball on the edge of the Lewes penalty area.

Carshalton goalkeeper Lloyd Thomas matched Carey minutes later, helping a Taylor Maloney free-kick over the bar as Lewes continued to search for an equaliser.

Lewes came even closer to levelling the scores with their next attack, with Thomas turning a De-Graft strike from a tight angle onto his near post after another spell of patient Lewes build-up play.

The Rooks finally scored the equaliser their first-half performance deserved on 36 minutes, as Klass made space for himself with some superb footwork before guiding an effort from just inside the area into the bottom corner.

The celebrations had barely died down before Lewes went in front after 38 minutes, with Klass winning the ball in midfield and playing an inch-perfect through-ball into the path of De-Graft, whose powerful effort beat Thomas at his near post.

Lewes remained on the front foot after the break and hit the woodwork for a third time within minutes of the restart, Taylor seeing a curling strike come from the left come back off the post.

Carshalton have taken points off a number of promotion-chasing teams this season and soon began to apply more pressure, with Bassett shooting over the bar from the edge of the area and Korrey Henry only managing to shoot straight at Carey after doing well to create space for himself.

Carey had to be alert again soon after to keep out a long-range strike from Roberts.

The Rooks had a gilt-edged chance to double their lead heading into the closing stages, but saw Taylor shoot over the bar with only Thomas to beat after capitalising on some hesitant defending.

Lewes managed to keep Carshalton at arms length for the remainder of the 90 minutes, but the four minutes of injury time at the end of the game seemed to give the hosts a second wind as they looked to level the scores.

First, Carey reacted well to parry a pwerful 25-yard from Bobby Price. The hosts then saw Matt Weaire make a superb block to keep out a goal-bound strike, before substitute Daniel Bennett was played in down the right but dragged his effort wide of the far post.

Carshalton were dealt a blow deep into stoppage time, as substitute Ergis Shala was dismissed after being shown a second yellow card for kicking the ball away.

Lewes saw out the remaining seconds to record a superb victory and remain in fourth place in the table.

Carshalton Athletic: Thomas, Price, Hamilton-Downes, Read, Hyman (Shala 46), Adenyi, Williams, Henry (Bennett 83), Bradford, Bassett, Roberts (Koroma 74).
Unused Subs: Sankoh, Masikini.
Booked: Shala, Bassett.
Sent off: Shala.

Lewes: Carey, Spencer, Carlse, Salmon, Weaire, Klass, Maloney, Dalling (Yao 83), De-Graft, Pettit, Taylor.
Unused Subs: Hall, Gillies, Parker.
Booked: Klass, Dalling.

Referee: Nicholas Metcalfe

Attendance: 571 – approximately 120 travelling Rooks


Away from the bread and butter world of the Pitching In Isthmian League, Cheshunt were on a road trip in the Trophy. The Ambers, having already disposed of National League South clubs Chelmsford City and St Albans City, were on the way to the North West to take on the might of National League leaders Stockport County- and they gave the big boys a real scare. In front of a crowd of three thousand, three hundred and forty it took the hosts an hour to break the deadlock, and it was a man with a famous Isthmian name- Myles Hippolyte (and yes, they are related, Johnson is his father’s cousin)- who got the goal. The Cheshunt spirit wasn’t broken, and they were boosted six minutes from time when the County keeper, Ethan Ross, saw red for handling outside the box. Unfortunately, despite their best efforts, the Ambers couldn’t find an equaliser, and their FA Trophy adventure is over.

Cheshunt should take real credit for their efforts. The Hatters have scored an average of two goals a game against sides in their own Division, and the Ambers not only restricted them to one but never gave them time to relax. Congratulations to all at the club, now it’s time to resurrect that Play-off push!

Our leaders, Worthing, were on the road to Merstham knowing that any slip ups could let in second place Enfield Town. The Mackerel Men had new signing Davide Rodari on the bench, and after a goalless first half Rodari was introduced- but it was a familiar name who opened the scoring, Ollie Pearce with his thirty fourth of the campaign on fifty six minutes. Reece Myles-Meekums second goal against these opponents this season made sure of the points five minutes from time, and opened up a five point lead at the top.

The Towners welcomed third place Bishop’s Stortford to the QEII Stadium, but their chances of going top took a blow when Ryan Charles gave the Blues a first half lead with his ninth of the campaign, assisted by Frankie Merrifield. The visitors doubled their advantage three minutes after half time, Merrifield converting from the spot after a foul on Charles, and the visitors held on for three points, to close to within a point of their hosts.

Hornchurch hadn’t lost since 23rd November, but they looked to have a difficult task in prospect as they hosted fifth place Folkestone Invicta. A Tom Wraight penalty for the Urchins was the difference at half time, but Invicta hit back straight after the break, David Smith with his twenty first of the season. That sparked the Urchins into life once more, and six minutes later Ollie Muldoon made it two. Five minutes more and it was three-one, Charlie Ruff scoring for the third successive match. Sam Higgins, back after five months out with injury, wrapped up victory with a fourth just before the end. The sides swapped places, and the Urchins are into the top five.

Kingstonian gave boss Hayden Bird a new two year deal this week, but two was a rather less exciting number in the first half at Horsham, as that’s how many the Hornets scored. Tom Kavanagh got both of them, on fifteen and thirty seven minutes, and on sixty seven minutes it was three-nil, Tom Day grabbing the third. Harvey Sparks got a fourth seven minutes from time, and the majority of the nine hundred and forty five watching on went home delighted. Horsham are thirteenth, and K’s stay seventh, but their fans will undoubtedly be more worried about a first half injury to keeper Rob Tolfrey.

Margate travelled to face our bottom side, East Thurrock United- the Rocks having lost eight of their last nine. After a goalless first half, there were no goals in the second half either- a point perhaps more valuable to the Rocks than the Blues.

Leatherhead welcomed Bognor Regis Town, the hosts on a run that had seen them go two hundred and seventy minutes without a goal but only lose once. Another forty five minutes went by without anyone from either side scoring, but then the Tanners ended a three hundred and thirty minute wait by getting the opener, Aaron Lamont puncturing the Rocks rearguard. The Rocks are our draw specialists, and they drew level and with eight minutes remaining, Nathan Odokonyero ensuring the Tanners couldn’t keep another clean sheet. Surely that was that- but no! Four minutes from time James Crane fired home a spot kick for the Rocks to earn…another draw, as there was still time for Antonio German to also convert a spot kick for the Tanners and a home ‘winner’ to be chalked off for offside! Leatherhead remain eight points from safety, Bognor eleven off a playoff place.

Corinthian-Casuals welcomed Bowers and Pitsea, and were too welcoming by half, Rob Small’s side two up by half time. Lewis Manor got the first after just five minutes, Michael Ademiluyi doubling their advantage three minutes before the break. Manor got another ten minutes after the break, his sixteenth of the season, and that was that.

Potters Bar Town welcomed Haringey Borough to the LA Construction Stadium, and were quickly ahead, Joseph Boachie getting his sixth of the campaign after just four minutes. On the stroke of half time Borough’s task became even more difficult as Andronicos Georgiou saw red, and the comeback didn’t happen. The Scholars climb to sixteenth.

Cray Wanderers were ahead at Wingate & Finchley after just two minutes, but were behind by the break, as Dylan Kearney and Kavan Cotter cancelled out Chris Dickson’s opener. Wands drew level just after the hour, Nazir Bakrin with that one, and the two had to be content with a point each.


If you haven’t yet seen or heard anything about Web 3.0, Blockchain or crypto-currency backed companies getting involved in football then you will be in the minority. Like it or not, the future is here today, and so here’s our quick A to Z guide into the buzzwords so you can at least sound as if you know what you are talking about….and what we will be talking about in future articles.

Bitcoin – is a decentralized digital currency created in January 2009. It follows the ideas set out in a white paper by the mysterious and pseudonymous Satoshi Nakamot and unlike government-issued currencies, it is operated by a decentralized authority.

Bitcoin uses cryptography to keep it secure. There are no physical bitcoins, only balances kept on a public ledger that everyone has transparent access to (although each record is encrypted). All Bitcoin transactions are verified by a massive amount of computing power via a process known as “mining.” Bitcoin is not issued or backed by any banks or governments, nor is an individual bitcoin valuable as a commodity.

Bitcoin’s price has risen exponentially in just over a decade, from less than $1 in 2011 to more than $68,000 as of November 2021. Its value is derived from several sources, including its relative scarcity, market demand, and marginal cost of production. Thus, even though it is intangible, Bitcoin commands a high valuation, with a total market cap of $1.11 trillion as of November 2021.

Blockchain – A system of recording information in a way that makes it incredibly difficult or impossible to change, hack, or cheat the system. A blockchain is essentially a digital ledger of transactions that is duplicated and distributed across the entire network of computer systems, with every “transaction” needed to be approved by the rest of the users on the network. Blockchain information, once added to the ledger, cannot be amended or altered, which makes it useful for provenance of information. We could, for instance, use a blockchain solution to record the details of every owner or ticket holder we have. Using a blockchain for ticketing could, in theory, eradicate ticket touting by proving the genuine owner of a ticket and what they originally paid for it.

Cryptocurrency – is an encrypted data string that denotes a unit of currency. It is monitored and organized by a peer-to-peer network (the blockchain), which also serves as a secure ledger of transactions, e.g., buying, selling, and transferring. Bitcoin, Ether, Litecoin, and Monero are popular cryptocurrencies. The digital payment system that doesn’t rely on banks to verify transactions. It’s a peer-to-peer system that can enable anyone anywhere to send and receive payments. However, as it is decentralized, the value of a particular cryptocurrency is more volatile than Government-backed currency.

DAO – A Decentralized Autonomous Organization, which is defined as an organization represented by rules encoded as a computer program that is transparent, controlled by the organization members and not influenced by a central government. A DAO is a group using a Blockchain (see above) to define its rules and voting structure.

Digital Asset – is anything that exists in a digital format and comes with the right to use. A picture taken by someone on their camera/phone is a digital asset, as too is a domain name bought by someone. The key is having that right to call it your own and use it. You cannot download a picture of a Banksy, for instance, and claim you own it. Downloading a copy of this progcast is perfectly allowable but the intellectual property is owned by the author (me) and so I am the only person (or the club) who could claim it is their digital asset…so hands off!

Discord – An interactive forum that provides information (which may be factual or not) while allowing members to participate in the in-depth conversation about a specific Cryptocurrency, NFT or digital investment – each individual investment will have its own Discord – a bit like our Fans Forum, where the topics may be widespread but will always relate back to Lewes – such as why beach huts cause the team to lose, why golden goal times are fixed and the price of chips. In recent weeks, a number of Discords have been “infiltrated” by rogue elements who have tried to steal investments by publishing QR Codes that take scanners to fraudulent websites.

Fan Token – Fan tokens are a form of cryptocurrency that gives holders access to a variety of fan-related membership perks like voting on club decisions, rewards, merchandise designs and unique experiences. Fans buy the tokens, which can vary in price based on demand and as a return (value?) they get to make decisions on various club matters. For those who can remember back as far as (who “owned Ebbsfleet United”), this was the approach that they tried to market. In reality the collective, of up to 32,000 members at one point, never got to pick the team or the tactics and in reality, no club at the highest level will ever give this control to fans. Socios (see below) claim they invented Fan Tokens.

NFT – A non-fungible token (NFT) is a non-interchangeable unit of data stored on a blockchain, that can be sold and traded. Types of NFT data units may be associated with digital files such as photos, videos, and audio but can also be for simple items as a pair of Nike trainers. Ownership of an NFT does not inherently grant copyright or intellectual property rights to the digital asset a token represents. One of the biggest marketplaces to buy or trade NFTS is Oversea. A very interesting article about how NFTs became very popular in the NBA (Basketball) can be read here. True story – Lewes FC’s Financial Controller, Biram Desai, owns an NFT of a Seaford Town player.

Smart Contract – Programs stored on a blockchain that run when predetermined conditions are met. They typically are used to automate the execution of an agreement so that all participants can be immediately certain of the outcome, without any intermediary’s involvement or time loss. An example of a smart contract is a share dealing contract which has an automated “kill” option – where a purchase or a disposal happens at a certain price. Or the point towards the end of the Keg and it is discounted when Terry will finally buy a pint.

Socios – Is a platform, operating on blockchain technology, which sells “fan tokens” offering supporters the chance to influence decisions at their team, has instantly increased visibility with a clutch of major partnerships. Socios borrows its name – and the kernel of its concept – from the Spanish word for members of supporter-run clubs such as Barcelona and Real Madrid. The creator of Socios, Alexandre Dreyfuss recently was quoted as saying “We are not targeting the guy who has a tattoo and is a season ticket holder. Our clients are the guys who will most likely never go to the stadium and yet dream about the team but were born in Korea, Japan, Turkey or Brazil. Not acknowledging them is discrimination.” Socios recently announced a partnership with Crystal Palace, who join Arsenal, Aston Villa, Everton, Leeds United and Manchester City in offering “unrivalled” fan engagement. However, the market value of the fan tokens has fallen dramatically this year, fuelling the debate against the investments.

Web 3.0 – is an idea for a new iteration of the World Wide Web based on the blockchain, which incorporates concepts including decentralization and token-based economics. It is the current buzzword to describe all of the above terms.

So, now when I write that “we are developing a Web 3.0 blockchain-based fan token solution, but not using Socios, to offer a range of digital assets, including NFTs and we will publish details on the Discord where the DAO will be available for discussion”, you will now know exactly what I am talking about….maybe.

Next time….Who are Real Bedford, what is Futera United, why are Fans Together planning to buy a football club and what are the Neville Brothers planning to do with their CO92 venture?


It is quite apt that the second poster in our retrospective comes from a game played in 2013 against today’s visitors, Margate. This one, a homage to the famous Bonfire Societies in the town in Tarantino-style, celebrated the annual Lewes 5th November celebrations, although the eagle-eyed will spot there are seven characters in the Rooks version rather than the six from Reservoir Dogs film.

Unlike the characters such as Mr. Brown, Mr. White and Mr. Pink, the Rooks ran out 3-0 winners in the game, with goals from Nicky Wheeler, Jack Dixon and Dan Smith. The centre-midfielder for Margate that day? A certain Joe Vines. Be sure to remind him of that.


The health properties of drinking Coconut water have been widely discussed over the last few years. The water, found in the middle of young coconuts is rich in minerals and antioxidants. It has been suggested that consuming coconut water may improve endurance and athletic performance. This is because it contains carbohydrate in the form of glucose (a simple sugar) combined with the electrolyte minerals sodium and potassium – two key components also found in commercial sports drinks. So it was no surprise to see a brand jump onto bed with a football team.

However, the relationship between Liverpool FC and Thai brand Chaoko as their Official Coconut Water Partner (to distinguish between those unofficial partners) soured quickly when it was reported the manufacturer used “slave monkeys” to harvest the coconuts, although the club’s official line was that they didn’t renew their agreement at the end of the 2019/20 season.

A number of Liverpool players, including Roberto Firmino and Andy Roberston appeared in the club’s promotional video, although it was unclear at the time whether they, or any other Liverpool player consumed the drink.


As winter started to bite in our first season back in the Isthmian League South, boss Darren Freeman needed some fresh blood as the Rooks looked for an immediate return to Step 3. Just before Christmas, in came young winger Egil Kaja on loan from AFC Wimbledon. The youngster made his first start in the game against Godalming Town on the 17th December, coming off the bench to set up the third Lewes goal for Stephen Okoh in the 68th minute.

The young winger went on to make six more appearances for the Rooks, scoring in a 4-1 win away at Herne Bay before returning to AFC Wimbledon the week later, where he remains today, although in between he has had spells at Livingston in the Scottish Premiership and Northampton Town. Despite his promise as a youngster, including turning down a trainee contract at AC Milan, he has still only made 52 first team appearances in his professional career, and that goal at Herne Bay in January 2017 remains the only time he has found the net in a league game.

Off the back of his performances at The Dripping Pan, Egli got a call up to the Albanian Under21s squad but never made his debut.


A Rail Replacement Bus service between Lewes and Three Bridges. A sentence that is certain to make ones heart sink. It makes one want to go up to the ticket office and say “this is my Payment Replacement Service” and offer to pay with Monopoly money or Tesco Vouchers. No thanks. We’ll do the old standby route of going to Uckfield and getting the train from there to East Croydon and then the Tramlink to Mitcham Junction and then…………Ahhh, no we won’t……. The bleedin’ tram isn’t running either. So to hell with it we all piled into Alan’s trusty Toyota with the very apt OAP number plate.  Turnstile Alan picked up Roly and Steve in downtown Polegate and PJ and Gary the Badge in uptown Uckfield for the short-ish journey to Carshalton. It was a bit cosy with three in the back and Roly taking up so much of the room. “Breathe in PJ. Oh….sorry… have”. Charming.

So what were the predictions for the game? Gary and PJ both feared a defeat as they couldn’t remember the last time we got a decent result at Colston Avenue and they always seem to play well against us. They would have taken a point before kick-off. Alan was more optimistic and fancied a 2-1 victory for the Rooks. Well, that probably wouldn’t happen would it?

First stop would be Carshalton High Street for another Stodgebuster visit to The Galaxy Cafe. We’ve been there a few times before and it’s never let us down. The High Street is always very busy but there was a parking spot in the car park opposite. This must be our lucky day. The cafe was very busy (always a good sign) but we managed to get a couple of tables. The menu was all very Stodgebuster friendly with plenty of choice. All their breakfasts are named after planets in our solar system except the Galaxy Breakfast which seemed to consist of just about everything. PJ went for the smaller Pluto Breakfast in keeping with his lithe and athletic build while the others had a mixture of breakfasts and omelettes. It was all pretty good stodge and was served up very quickly by the very friendly staff. All in all we had to give it yet another 9 on the Stodge-o-meter. Ten thousand calories later we were heading back to the car via the Co-op where PJ used the spare fiver from the whip to buy some half time choccy snacks. Yeah, right. We are are the Stodgebusters and none of those would last till half time.

We like the War Memorial Sports Ground. It is light years better than that Hornchurch stadium we visited a fortnight earlier. You can actually see the game without having to have Bionic eyes like Steve Austin, The Six Million Dollar Man. (What would he cost today due to inflation?) One can also get up close behind the goal. All down one side is probably the best bit of old fashioned terracing in the league and it’s all covered. Behind the goal has cover too. What’s not to like? Well, the plastic pitch if you’re a purist. But this Lewes team likes a decent surface to play its silky passing football on so we don’t complain too much about that.  The hefty nine quid for OAP’s had one or two of the usual suspects muttering their disapproval though.

There was a very good turnout of Rooks fans for this game which was good to see. The Youth Wing, as our renowned Supporters Club correspondent calls them, turned up in full voice to bolster the numbers up to maybe a full hundred. We hoped they wouldn’t be disappointed.

No Ollie Tanner on the team sheet. Injured again. That was a blow, and with Iffy Allen leaving the club midweek who would be terrorising the right back of Carshalton? There was no Mitchell Nelson either who was still under suspension for that red card that Hornchurch got for him. Playing in the middle at the back for Carshalton would be ex-Rook winger and Dripping Pan favourite Peter Adeniyi. Although he is getting on these days he is still some player. He sprays out passes from the back and never gives the ball away.

Lewes started off very brightly and pinned the home side back for the first ten minutes. We were playing very well. Maloney even clattered a post from distance. The Stodgebusters commented to each other on how well we were playing. PJ casually remarked that probably meant Carshalton would score soon. That was the proverbial Kiss of Death. Hardly before he had finished the sentence we gave the ball away in midfield and someone let fly from about twenty five yards out and curled a worldy in off the post. Lewis Carey had no chance. Three keepers wouldn’t have kept it out. Bleedin’ typical. One serious attack, one goal.  

Lewes kept going though and were still playing good football. We managed to restrict the home sides chances although they did look the more dangerous when they got forward. Razz smacked the post again from an acute angle on the half hour mark. Maybe it was another one of those days. Frustration turned to joy when Michael Klass found himself on the edge of the box surrounded by five defenders. With some very tricky feet he managed to keep hold of the ball while the defenders hesitated to lunge in. Almost stumbling, and in what seemed like slow motion, he managed to toe poke the ball just out of the keepers reach and it trickled just inside the post much to our delight.

Within a minute Adeniyi gave the ball away in the middle of the park (oops, there’s a collectors item) and the ball fell to the classy Klass. Razz, playing the Ollie Tanner role, was found by Klass and smashed the ball from an acute angle again trying to find the near-post gap. Instead of finding the post, this time it found the keepers leg and shot up into the roof of the net for 2-1. Cue pandemonium behind the goal and some loud comments aimed at the keeper and about his capabilities courtesy of Turnstile Alan.

The second half continued in the same vein. Lewes were on top and looking more likely to score. Joe Taylor saw a curling effort hit the post yet again whereas the home side rarely got to see the whites of Carey’s eyes. It was only in the last ten minutes when Carshalton threw everything including the kitchen sink at Lewes did we look under threat. Adeniyi even took up his old right wing position in an attempt to make something happen. Carey made a good save and a couple of attempts flashed across the six yard area but Lewes held firm. A home player received his second yellow in the last minute for either a foul as we looked to break or for stupidly kicking the ball away. We didn’t know and frankly didn’t care much as we celebrated a long awaited win at Colston Avenue. As did Tom Carlse in his trademark  fashion. Who predicted a 2-1 win? Alan reminded us once or twice on the way home.

The Stodgebusters will return at Leatherhead.


About King George’s Field
Corinthian Casuals ground is a basic affair but certainly homely.  There is a small main stand with a few rows of seating and covered terrace behind both goals, although at the south end of the ground it is only behind the goal itself.  Apart from that it is hard standing around the pitch.  The club house and food van can be found behind the main stand.  Their three-cheese chips earns them plaudits from away fans.  Trains regularly pass over the top of the main stand which can be a bit off-putting for away players and fans alike. 

How to get to King George’s Field
The ground is situated just off the A3 not far from the Tolworth roundabout. If you are travelling from the M25 you can join the A3 London-bound at junction 10. Stay on the A3 until you reach the 50mph speed limit, continue under the Hook roundabout and move into the left-hand lane for about 174 yards. Bear left onto Hook Rise North for 0.2 mile (Tolworth Junction). At roundabout, take the FOURTH exit (as if you were going to re-join the A3 going back towards the way you came signposted M25, Portsmouth) then almost immediately take slip road on left onto Hook Rise South for 0.5 mile.

If you are travelling from London on the A3 take the Tolworth Junction exit. At roundabout, take the second exit (as if you were going to re-join the A3 going towards M25, Portsmouth) then almost immediately take slip road on left onto Hook Rise South for 0.5 mile.

Turn left into Queen Mary Close. Ground and car park under railway bridge on right hand side. The 55-mile journey should take just over an hour from Lewes.

The ground is situated around a ten-minute walk from Tolworth station which is in Zone 5. Turn left out of the station and walk up to the roundabout where you should turn left again, past where the Toby Jug pub used to be. Walk alongside the slip road into Hook Rise South. Continue down the road until you reach Queen Mary’s Close, where you will see a small sign for the club. Walk under the bridge and the ground is on the right.  Journey time from Lewes, with a change at Clapham Junction is 1 hour 50 minutes and an Off-Peak Day Return is approximately £25.

Admission at King George’s Field
Admission this season will be £12 for adults, £7 for concessions (senior citizens, students and Under18s), and accompanied under 16s are admitted for £1.  

Fancy a beer?
This is a tough one – there are literally no pubs within a 10/15-minute walk of the ground so unusually I am going to recommend having a beer or two at Clapham Junction at pubs such as The Falcon (which has England’s longest bar) or The Slug and Lettuce, both within a 2-minute walk of the station.




Our community garden – to the far-left corner of the Pan – continues to provide hours of fun for Lewes midfielder Bradley Pritchard and his merry throng of volunteers. Brad’s Pit (named by a fan in the Netherlands) has a stated vision: ‘Together we grow good food and relationships‘. 

Bradley has a WhatsApp Group for those helping at the garden and welcomes more expressions of interest. He said, ‘With the growing season fast approaching we decided to formalise things a bit more. Here is an initial interest form for anyone who fancies helping in the garden. We thought once we knew what people wanted to do we could structure jobs and days better. Please send it to anyone who might want to know more about helping in the garden’. 


The annual NFL Super Bowl generates enough column inches in the sports media to last a whole year but what really gets the whole nation talking is the half-time show, especially when there is some controversy (The Janet Jackson “nip slip” from 2004 being a case in point) or if the show is simply really, really bad. Rolling Stone magazine have actually rated every show in the history of the game, with Prince’s show in 2007 chosen as the best.

But do any of the shows come close to having Bruce Forsyth score a half-time goal back in the 1974 FA Cup Final? I think not.

Back when the FA Cup Final meant something to the clubs and the fans, there was a lot of effort put into FA Cup Final day by the media, with special TV shows made and “famous” faces allowed to accompany the players in their journey from hotel to stadium. But we still have memories, such as Brucie’s goal to remind us of a simpler time.


“The Isthmian Football League strongly supports the FA statement that there should be a zero tolerance approach against racism and all forms of discrimination. Accordingly any form of discriminatory abuse whether it by reason of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion and belief, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, sex and sexual orientation or any other form of abuse will be reported to The Football Association for action by that Association.” (The FA 0800 085 0508 / Kick it Out 020 7253 0162).The Isthmian League and all Member Clubs in the League are committed to promoting equality by treating people fairly and with respect, by recognising that inequalities may exist, by taking steps to address them and providing access and opportunities for all members of the community.”

Lewes 2000 FC Limited. Registered in England and Wales with Company Registration Number 03790979. Lewes 2000 FC Limited is 100% owned by Lewes Community Football Club.

Honorary President Terry Parris
Chair Stuart Fuller
Directors Sue Anstiss MBE (co-opted), Ed Briggs, Scott Currie, Charlie Dobres, Karen Dobres, Stuart Fuller, Lucy Mills, John Peel, Ed Ramsden, Claire Rafferty (co-opted), Sally Taplin, Trevor Wells
Chief Executive Officer Maggie Murphy
Club Secretary John Peel
Fan Engagement Manager Shrey Nilvarna
Youth Secretary Kevin Brook
Operations Manager James Barker

Equality FC Campaign Manager Karen Dobres

Life Members
Mr and Mrs Brook, Vic Blunt, Pat Dartnell, Gary Elphick, Gordon Fowlie, Peter Hiscox RIP, Billy Nixon, Derrick Parris, Terry Parris, Jimmy Quinn, P. Swaysland, Steve Ibbitson, Jason Hopkinson, Steve White, Martin Elliot, Kevin Fingerneissl, Kevin Powell, David and Barbara Arnold, Roger and Cathy Feltham, Ethel Treagus, Roy Dartnell RIP, Ron Moore, Derek Southouse, Ray Smith, Ken Carter RIP

Manager Tony Russell
Assistant manager Joe Vines
Head of Recruitment Adam Drew
First team coach Dale Hurley
First team coach Nathan White
First team physio Tom Parker
Goalkeeping coach Grant Hall
Match logistics Clive Burgess
Under-18s Manager Dale Hurley
Under-18s Assistant Manager Craig Stevens
Under-18s coaches Jake Legrange and Johnny Buggy

Golden Rook Rob Read
Web Editor Stuart Fuller
Progcast Editors Paul Sheppard and Stuart Fuller
Club Photographer James Boyes






  1. Adria Munoz Fernandez
  2. Matty George
  3. 1st place
  4. Stephen Okoh
  5. 1-5